Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big Island has been changing quickly lately.
I've also been thinking about moving back to the mainland....

But not to a house...but to a VAN... Don't like the weather? Scenery? Drive to another national park... A house on wheels is the only way to go. Don't like that noise of the dog barking? Or the bums throwing trash around? Or the idiot do doughnuts in the parking lot? Turn the key and off you go! Big Grin No high rent/mortgage no huge taxes ... etc...etc...! Smile

Good Luck!
We stand corrected - we lived there in the late 60s and early 70s.
Springfield across I-5 is gang territory we are told.
We did visit about 10 yrs ago,and for a yuppy college town,prices have escalated dramatically .
Portland winters suck - ice storms off the Columbia river but has many perks in transportation systems.
We also enjoy Bellingham Wash,and close to B.C.
Mrs.Mimosa
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

I've also been thinking about moving back to the mainland....

But not to a house...but to a VAN...

Great suggestion! I know of several people who retired, bought a motor home and toured the country.

I think the same advice always given to people who want to move to Hawaii applies here, except that the mainland is WAY bigger. Maybe that would be the best way to do it Gypsy. You could travel the country and “try out” different areas, as well as see all the great sights. The western parts like Utah, Arizona etc. are amazing. Great national parks.

Having lived in the eastern part of the mainland all my life I think you will find the western part more, shall we say, friendly? There is a lot to do here as far as arts and culture. Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington for example have some great museums and plenty of entertainment. It’s just that it is really crowded and, like I said, not as friendly. Still worth a visit. The Smithsonian museums alone are worth the trip. Just letting you know what to expect.

I get the impression you were born and raised in Hawaii and have not had experience on the mainland. I also think you will find out that you like Hawaii better once you do experience it. Not saying it’s all bad it’s just…. not Hawaii. At all.

Having said that it would still be a great adventure. If you find a place you like, great. If not, motor homes usually hold their value pretty well so you could always sell it and move back. With an even greater appreciation for the islands.
Gypsy, just reread your original post. Kinda forgot about the kid thing. Maybe you could (motor)home school? It would be a great experience for the kids as well...
"I get the impression you were born and raised in Hawaii and have not had experience on the mainland. I also think you will find out that you like Hawaii better once you do experience it. Not saying it’s all bad it’s just…. not Hawaii."
Gypsy, I'm thinking the same thing. Business took us to the mainland after our kids graduated from HPP. I consoled myself with how cheaper things would be and that we would be closer to our kids who had chosen mainland colleges. There was good and bad to our decision to move. I can't say that it was cheaper.....it really wasn't. Money was just spent in a different fashion.
What I wasn't prepared for was the disconnect I felt towards the land. We had moved to a beautiful location, we were on the water and yet , I could not feel the mana. So many months were so bloody cold and dark, we felt trapped indoors.
We both were very involved with our community & our businesses and yet I longed to return to Hawaii, to the sunshine and it's people.
I'll never forget my first night back in my own home on the big island. My husband arrived first with 2 dogs and I came a few days later with our pup and our cats. There was a large bouquet of white orchids on the table......poki , sliced sashimi , rice, poi and mahi ready to be grilled. I cried. I couldn't wait to go to KTA the next day just to be around the jovial locals!!!
I wish you and your family the best of Adventure with your new move.....but put the money away, because there's no place like home!
Reni, I feel the same way. Except I'm stuck here and wish I was there!
[xx(]
The island stays in your heart.....
Hi gypsy did you decide where you are going?
Look around for the states that provide free community college or High Schools that provide 2 years of college while attending them. WA state, El Paso Texas, and Tennessee come to mind. I'd caution the west coast because of the high housing costs right now, but with the minimum wage laws, your kids will earn more starting out. For the younger kids, Arizona has good charter schools, but you have to enter a lottery to get in, and NW Arkansas has good schools and cheap housing. There are so many factors to consider and I wish you well during such a huge move and decision. My three kids have adjusted to mainland life and my two youngest, did not remember it at all. There were certain gaps in my youngest's thinking that he had some trouble with. He did not know what a lake was, and thought all water was the ocean. He thought that all big roads eventually went around in a circle. He also had some trouble with the pigeon that he had learned to speak. It's a huge displacement and it takes a long time to adjust to leaving Hawaii. Give yourself time.
I forgot to address the homeschooling idea. I have homeschooled one of my kids out of necessity and it is not always a good experience. It is exhausting for the parents and can be isolating for the kids. Just my two cents. And forget about the income tax issue. If you have a bunch of kids and not a lot of money, you pay no income taxes anyhow. The property taxes are something to look at, and everywhere will be higher than Hawaii as a local, but some places are more than others.
If you have a bunch of kids and not a lot of money, you pay no income taxes anyhow. The property taxes are something to look at, and everywhere will be higher than Hawaii as a local, but some places are more than others.
-----
Good point, but if there isn't much money, the person may not be buying a house - they will be renting.