Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your favorite things about Puna?
Melodious Laughing Thrush AKA Chinese Thrush or Hwa-Mei. "A prized caged singer in China, where it is called the Hwa-Mei. It is said these birds were introduced to Hawaii during the Chinatown fire in Honolulu earlier last century, where many were liberated by their owners to save them from the flames. Whatever the case, they are now common on Kauai, Maui and the Big Island."

I will offer another "better in the old days" thing, though not to direct any criticism toward Puna. Better views because of fewer trees. Up until the early 1980s, stunning view heading toward Kalapana from Pahoa, just after Opihikao turnoff. Stark black lava field, in beautiful contrast to adjacent forest. Now all grown over. Views gone.

Same thing at 4 corners. Used to drive to the cinder pit heading toward Waa Waa (200 yards from 4 corners). Drove up broad cinder hill and got truck loads of cinders (only $7 for giant truck load!). View from 150 feet above 4 corners was was extraordinary. The 150-foot high wall of Waa Waa forest to the left loomed over the lava field, ocean beyond. Medley of colors: jet black, green, red (cinder), blue sky and ocean. Wish I took photos. (Guess there is still a good view top of Green mountain though when I last went there in 1981 the top was heavily forested.)

Even in the 1970s, the invasive iron woods had taken over the 4 corners, but today, they are fast covering all the lava in the area. Of course the cinder hill is gone now (that would have been a geographical feature to preserve, but I am guilty as anyone in helping mine the hill.)

We still have maybe 1.5-2 miles of open space heading toward Poihiki, but how long will that lava field remain unobscured? Will anything stop the march of the ironwood trees? I love trees greatly but flat land, e.g. meadows, lava fields, (low) farm crops, greatly accentuates the beauty of adjacent trees and forests. Diversity in nature is worth preserving. I know this sentiment resonates in Sea View but anywhere else?
Being serious for a moment, the things I love about Puna are:

1) Sunsets: Although we can't see the sun setting, the colors on a good weather day are spectacular, the weird but vivid color every plant and tree take on at that time and the view of the sky towards a silhouetted Mauna Kea;

2) Sunrise: Just spectacular especially if you can see it rise above the ocean. The next hour when the light is still beautiful and everything is waking up is very special;

3) The night sky: I have never lived in a place where at sea level you can step out of your house on a clear and moonless night and within a minute or two of becoming dark-adapted, you can easily see the Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy. It's almost magical;

4) Living so close to nature at its most spectacular: How many other people on our planet live near a volcano with active lava flows they can go and watch and yet feel they aren't putting their life in danger?

It's a unique place.
The Lava
Clear starry skies
Views of huge volcanos
The warm pools
Red Road
Uncle Robers
MacKenzie Park
(not the pizza)
Maku'u Market
Pahoa
The sounds and smells of the people ha
The climate makes it a tropical fruit grower's paradise, which is my primary interest. Fairly poor soil conditions notwithstanding, you can grow just about anything in Puna, without irrigation. I find the climate to be ideally comfortable too. No heating or air conditioning is needed. Not too windy or sunny. I prefer overcast skies to balance the hours of sunshine, if not exceed them. This is typical in Puna. Windward sections of Hawaii may have the best climate in the world-at least for me.
I also find the native flora of Ohia and tree fern to be very beautiful. Again, it's world class. There's more, but others have eloquently gone there already.
Couldn't help myself...I have to add this as I had forgotten something very important to me! The fragrance of Hawaii...

Heavenly scents of plumeria and white ginger blooms!