Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OTA TV Channels
TomK:
quote:
I did want to watch Endeavour but also wanted to watch The Orville and they conflicted. I made the wrong choice. I like sci-fi spoofs (e.g., Galaxy Quest) but The Orville was awful. Anyway, I'll be able to watch the Endeavour serious on DVD. My collection of UK detective series is becoming quite large. I even have some US series I enjoy as well! Columbo was on at the same time but think I already have that episode here, but this was a tough choice...

Many of you OTA guys may not be aware of the Channel Master DVR:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J05QJPG/?tag=209443220-20

It's about the size of an iPad, and works just like a cable box-style DVR for budget OTA TV watchers like me. The digital OTA signal comes with a pretty good "guide" as you're probably aware. The version of the Channel Master DVR I bought with the larger capacity solid-state hard drive has worked consistently for me for several months, one-click recording on the program as it's displayed on the guide, two simultaneous recordings max. You can also program a series to automatically record all episodes. Has the familiar FF/rewind, skip back or forward capability, and you can pause or re-watch live TV if you miss something or need a break. I'm rarely over 50% capacity on my HD, your mileage may vary depending on your household size. I think I paid something over $300 for mine. Caveat: you may find commercial-skipping capability and watching Colbert in the morning makes your TV more compelling—remember to get off your butt and exercise.

Custom recordings with 5-minute segments are also simple to program, also, there's an audio output from the Channel Master receiver which permits an audio signal out to my stereo (my Samsung TV lacks an audio output) so you can listen to Austin City Limits with great sound. I think your TV must have an HDMI input to be compatible with the Channel Master.

It's not quite the same as most pay-service DVR's, the free guide info lacks details like vintage of movies, cast etc. But I've been really pleased with mine. I've had to reboot it twice I think when it got a little bit glitchy, this cured the issues, and I lost no archived recordings. I generally try to watch commercial-free PBS live, and record other network programming like news and Colbert to enable commercial-skipping. If you set up back-to-back recordings on different channels with another program accompanying the later recording, be aware that there will likely be a conflict requiring attention at the hour or half-hour intersection of the changeover. I find that ending the earlier recording when the option is automatically presented will generally resolve the conflict with no loss of relevant content—the Channel Master will automatically post a query with options at the time of the new program initiation (cancel KHON 2 news? cancel PBS Newshour?)
quote:
Originally posted by seekir

I agree! I have one and I'm quite pleased with it!

I'm checking it out. A DVR is the only part of satellite service that I miss. With the ability to record TV broadcasts I won't have to miss football games when I'm working, or can record and use the skip button to zip through the last part of blowout games.
Thank seekir!

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I love the thing (too much probably), and it fits in with my cheap, I mean frugal approach to living.
Thank you, seekir, I didn't know about that. I probably don't watch enough TV to justify spending $300 on a DVR but will bear it in mind!
Anyone having problems with OTA reception in Fern Acres (on Pikake). Was using a 30 foot pole attached to the top of a 2 story home and the owner use to get most channels until about 3 weeks ago (when we had the thunderstorms). Checked the antenna and it seems fine. We then bought a powerful electronic signal enhanced antenna and we still get nothing. Was wondering if it was something down on their end....
OTA channels working fine in Orchidland, sorry can't be more help for your specific location but maybe the info is useful.

I don't understand the science behind electronic signal enhancement, but the company that sold us our antenna recommended against getting one for our location, even though they sell them and they are more expensive than what they recommended.

Not to sound like the guy who is asking if your caps locks key is on, but you did try auto-tuning the channels on the receiver (usually a TV) correct?
Sorry I didn't get back to this...I found out it wasn't the OTA signal. Neighbors were getting OTA just fine. Somehow my co/ax input on the tv went bad (maybe the thunderstorm?). We connected a smaller HDTV to the antenna and the OTA stations come in fine.
H22,

I PM'd you but got a server error so not sure if you got it. I am an IT/AV/RF integrator engineer and had a question about Digital OTA reception in upper Opihikau. I understand there's a ridge blocking the Hilo stations. Can you PM me to discuss some technical questions?? Mahalo!
Jerry

Jerry Gillgren
Jerry Gillgren
quote:
Originally posted by musicmanjer

H22,

I PM'd you but got a server error so not sure if you got it. I am an IT/AV/RF integrator engineer and had a question about Digital OTA reception in upper Opihikau. I understand there's a ridge blocking the Hilo stations. Can you PM me to discuss some technical questions?? Mahalo!
Jerry

Jerry Gillgren

I didn't get your message, and also got the server error.

You can contact me here, and it will switch us over to email: http://kqhw.com/contact/

Smile