Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayor Kim trying to ban vacation rentals.
If you cannot afford to live here, maybe it's time to move...

Try explaining that to someone who has lived here their whole life, only to find themselves priced out of a home.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

If you cannot afford to live here, maybe it's time to move...

Try explaining that to someone who has lived here their whole life, only to find themselves priced out of a home.

Should have picked a better industry to work in?! Should have gotten that degree? Maybe waited on starting a family? Most people don't plan to fail but they sure do fail to plan.
Should have picked a better industry to work in?!

What industry?

they sure do fail to plan

How do you effectively "plan" for cost of living increases that outpace your income? Other than choosing to live somewhere with a real economy, of course -- just uproot your life and relocate your family, right?
"Don't forget: TAT is remit to State, who "generously" shares some of it back; the actual impact to County's budget of a TAT-evading unpermitted B&B is questionable"

Good point. I wonder if the State can put a stop to this economic harikiri.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

And why is that, if I may ask? I assume you're not keen to pay more tax..

Because I don't want working class locals priced out of neighborhoods by vacation rentals owned by non residents.
"vacation rentals owned by non residents"

Is that in the bill somewhere?

Could just be a tactic to get a bigger share of the TAT. At least then it's understandable.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

"vacation rentals owned by non residents"

Is that in the bill somewhere?

"Unhosted rentals" Who do you think owns them?
working class locals priced out of neighborhoods by vacation rentals

Some are priced out of the rental market due to the high payments made to landlords by Section 8 housing. The working class squashed by the rich AND the poor.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I don't want working class locals priced out of neighborhoods by vacation rentals owned by non residents

As opposed to being priced out by the HART money-grab, or higher property taxes, or higher prices to pay for the new minimum wage, or higher electricity costs to capture all the revenue "stolen" by people with solar panels... I'm sure none of these have any effect on the cost of living.