Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Federal law circumvents Hawaii's CCW process
Aloha~ I slept on it before replying! I just gotta say...your perspective might change the first time you're shot at. Mine did. I've been shot at in Vietnam and Alaska. And pepper spray...? Would not have been useful in either case.

In Washington State, there is a curious balance of individual rights with the ability to carry a defensive weapon and to buy all the pot you can consume. The will of the people! Maybe Hawaii government will fess up to THEIR circumvention of the Constitution.
your perspective might change the first time you're shot at... I've been shot at in Vietnam and Alaska.

I'm sure my perspective would be different if I was in a war in Vietnam, or in a state like Alaska with 6 times more gun homicides per 100,000 population than Hawaii. Alaska is the highest in the nation in that category. But put the danger in context. We live in Puna, a relatively safe corner of the world. It gets cold here more often than people get shot at, yet, how many of us insist on owning an Artic Parka? Especially when you can just as effectively layer shirts and jackets when it's 50 or 60 degrees out.

Every situation has multiple working solutions. Not just one.

Look at a list showing the strength of guns laws in a state that also shows gun related deaths. The stricter the gun regulation, the lower the gun death rate. The idea that a gun makes you safer is a fallacy.

Study your history. The 2nd Amendment was put in the Constitutionat the insistence of Southern slave owners. It was the only way a white plantation owner and his handful of managers could control 50 or 100 slaves. It's a remnant of the most embarrassing institution this country has ever known. The original purpose of the 2nd Amendment ended 150 years ago in 1865, after the Civil War was won by the North.

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I have PTSD from being robbed and a friend almost being murdered in the process and we were both unarmed/defenseless. I am afraid to go out because I have no legal means to defend myself in public and live in fear. It's nice to know that I may have a chance to carry and be able to defend myself or others. I am tired of living in fear.
Every situation has multiple working solutions. Not just one.

Irrelevant under our current local governmental regime -- and on pretty much every issue, not just this one.
"or in a state like Alaska with 6 times more gun homicides per 100,000 population than Hawaii"

To put this into context, most of those were suicides. Alaska has the highest suicide rate in the country.

"Of the 1,000 firearm fatalities in Alaska during the six analyzed years, 750 were due to suicide and 152 were homicides, according to the report. The rest were due to accidents, police intervention or could not be determined from the data."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...ship-in-us
Ah yes, an increased suicide rate, another benefit to look forward to. I can hardly wait.
When everyone carries a pistol, I won’t feel safe unless I have an assault rifle. Does concealed carry cover that too?
Aloha! Not only have I studied history, I've LIVED it. I been to places that don't even exist! Like...Oahu, T.H. South Vietnam West Germany. I watched the Berlin Wall built in black and white and saw it torn down in living color! Gun ownership to placate slave owners...? Wow, could there have been any other possible reason for people to have guns? History as an "a la carte" menu much?
HOTPE, your interpretation of history relies on some very selective readings of the founders. My rights are already protected but I don't think others should have their rights withheld without a very good challengeable cause.

As to a previous comment. I believe that a person carrying based on an out of state permit would still have to abide by the State's registration rules. I forgot what it was but 5 days comes to mind. So if your visit is more than 5 days you have to register. The person would also likely be constrained by the State's magazine capacity laws. So if your carry gun holds more than that you'll either have to buy a different gun or get mags that can't be altered to hold more than 10. I personally consider 10 plenty but it's almost hard to find modern handguns that don't hold more. At least that's the case with .40 caliber and under semi-autos and that what's now in common use. A compact Glock 9mm holds 14 with the .40 holding 12. A full size glock 9mm holds something like 18. Those are standard capacity numbers.

That said, I'm not at all convinced the law will pass the Senate. The State's rights issue held up the LEOSA for several years and will likely do the same with this issue. There are valid State's Rights arguments against passing it. The problem isn't really an issue with Hawaii anyhow as you have to get on a plane or boat to get there, but a Citizen shouldn't be in legal jeopardy for simply crossing a State line which is so easily done on the mainland.

I don't need a CCW due to Federal law but I have one from Florida just because there are unfortunately some cops out there that aren't conscientious enough to know the law. I thought about getting one from Hawaii but in Hawaii you have to release your medical records to them and get a waiver from your doctor or some such silliness. I'm not big on giving out my medical records to anyone. Besides, I've only been institutionalized a few times and I'm taking all of my meds now. ***JOKE***

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
1,000 firearm fatalities in Alaska during the six analyzed years, 750 were due to suicide and 152 were homicides... accidents, police intervention or could not be determined..."

So if almost no guns deaths were caused by citizens protecting themselves, what again is the reason to own a gun in Puna? Other than hunting boar?

Gun ownership to placate slave owners...? Wow, could there have been any other possible reason for people to have guns?

As with many historical circumstances, there was more than one reason for a citizen to own a musket in the 1770's. The reason it was inserted into the Constitution however, was for the benefit of slave owners. They needed assurance that the newly formed country would allow them to lawfully preserve what they called their well regulated militias, which consisted of county residents required to hunt down escaped slaves. With no compensation from the slave owners.

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
So if almost no guns deaths were caused by citizens protecting themselves, what again is the reason to own a gun in Puna? Other than hunting boar?
-----------
Doesn't matter "if almost no deaths" by someone protecting themselves. You shouldn't be able to tell others that they do not have the right to be able to protect themselves with a gun, or a bat or a knife or a machete, etc.