Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topless in HI?
The Muslim reference is good. Interesting what a range of perspectives that cultures have here. A woman shows a bare leg in most of the Middle East there is shock and outrage. Fair to say a topless woman in public would cause some of the elderly Ayatollahs to have heart attacks on the spot.

Though there are differences, there is some uniformity. IMO the recognition of men's distraction (and sometimes misbehavior) following the sight of scantily dressed women came about independently in many societies as civilizations evolved from tribes to chiefdoms to states. There was recognition of the biological behavior of men, IMO.

A topless woman @ a nude beach like Kehena, OK. Standing out in front of Walmart?? I don't think so. (Time and place)
(time and place)....

Says the men who decide when and where its appropriate for a woman to show her body

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
I have to agee with dayna.. it's not society that has to evolve. . It's Men in general.
Completely agree. It's OK to be topless on a beach but not in the Walmart parking lot? Next thing we'll be told is women not being allowed to breastfeed in public.

It's the 21st century, not the medieval ages.
From TomK "Completely agree. It's OK to be topless on a beach but not in the Walmart parking lot? Next thing we'll be told is women not being allowed to breastfeed in public."

Why would opposition to the first necessarily lead to opposition to the second? Different things. And I said Standing out in front of Walmart.

"It's the 21st century, not the medieval ages."

Precisely. We wear clothing appropriate for our modern environment. We do not walk around shopping centers, main streets and other busy places nude. (Nude beaches excepted. I will not get into why nude beaches are different, but can do so if requested.)

(And people dressed fairly completely in the "medieval ages," a term generally taken to refer to Europe, a rather cold climate. Perhaps you intend to refer to tribal societies in tropical climates.)

Topless is not the same as nude. Anybody that thinks this is really stuck in the 19th century. A woman should be able to go topless anywhere a man without a shirt would be acceptable.
Btw to answer the OP, toplessness for women is completely legal in Hawaii. The genitals need to be covered though.
"Topless is not the same as nude."

You are right. But it is sort of half nude. And men with their shirts off is not 100% accepted either. Of course it is mostly in Hawaii, So Cal, Florida and other places with many beaches.

But in most places on the mainland, even on hots days, it is usually just guys jogging or working construction sites and young men doing sports without shirts. On most main streets and busy commercial areas across the nation men wear shirts. Even in hot weather.

Many establishments still have No shirts, no shoes, no service. Call me a fuddy, but I like that rule. Don't really like to see guys in Walmart or Sears with no shirts (as we sometimes do). JMO.

And IMO there is a big difference between men and women topless. I still am not getting the rationale for women strolling around everywhere topless........

women strolling around everywhere topless........

Like anything, you get used to it after awhile.

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

On most main streets and busy commercial areas across the nation men wear shirts. Even in hot weather.

Yes, but that's because they really have to in order to enter any establishment.

That and they don't want to show off their dismal physical condition.