Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wheelabrator Survey was not Scientific
I'd be for a plant if it was not directly facing people, not like PGV. I'd think the final resting place for the PGV was forced by State, and UH, to situate in that spot! NELHA or another place where effluent would be quickly diluted by the trades, even if Wheelabrator (Damon?) owns it. they can have all rubbish and recycling as is the most efficient!
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

I'd be for a plant if it was not directly facing people...

I'm almost with you on this one... I say south point or kona (for the how manieth time?)

And yeah... I own WB [Big Grin] Kidding.

But we as a community can make a large enough fuss to at least get the facts in front of us.

They can't even come up with a dollar figure at this point.

Does anyone buy a house without knowing how much it's going to cost?

-------
Today in History:
Mrs. Mary Castle, one of the few early missionaries to the "Sandwich Island Mission" who lived into the 20th century, dies at the age of 87. She arrived in Hawai'i in 1843. 1907
Absolutely, and a complete plan with all figures and locations! It used to be so much simpler, the mob makes a plan you can't refuse! But this isn't going to be an easy one to decide, Like geothermal, this could provide uninterrupted power, Mabe if we could reach no fuel cost, we could force HELCO to drop the rate, or face Anti Trust statutes!
Gordon J Tilley
Bob, GREAT IDEA! validate the survey.
The information I asked for, which is pretty basic stuff for this type of situation, was to use the same data.
A separate survey is much, much better.
Who would pay for it?
Don't need off-island consultants -- there are students and staff at UHH quite capable of conducting an unbiased and valid survey and conducting reporting an honest analysis of the results.
Who would pay for it?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford
....there are students and staff at UHH quite capable of conducting an unbiased and valid survey and conducting reporting an honest analysis of the results.
Who would pay for it?

That would make a good project for a Poly Sci class.

-------
Today in History:
Mrs. Mary Castle, one of the few early missionaries to the "Sandwich Island Mission" who lived into the 20th century, dies at the age of 87. She arrived in Hawai'i in 1843. 1907
Thanks Damon for the link. I read it but it was more of the same old same old, people saying the survey was bias but presenting absolutely nothing to validate their claim but wishful thinking. They want the survey to be bias so they say it. I say if you want to show the survey as slanted, conduct another and have some concrete facts.

One thing that was different was the post from the person who did participate in the survey. That person said the survey wasn't slanted. The questions they said were fair and impartial. As a matter of fact, the survey taker wouldn't reveal who commissioned the survey so that responses weren't based on a bias for or against the client.

How about this. Someone get a clipboard and stand outside a supermarket and ask people if they are For or Against the project. Sure it's not scientific but it provided something more than just wanting it to be a certain way. Could the survey have been bias, slanted, or doctored? Sure it could be, but, it could also be accurate. Just because you don't want it to be accurate doesn't mean it wasn't. Provide something - anything to show otherwise besides just pulling the assumption out of thin air because that's what you want it to be.
It's pretty funny when the local paper even writes a statement like this:

Those are some of the claims being made by Wheelabrator Technologies Inc.

So much for unbiased reporting [Big Grin]

-------
A.R.A.S.
Acceptance Respect Affection and Support
Bob Trask
Bob Orts,

Your independence in not wanting to jump on a bandwagon deserves respect.

Please understand that "just wanting it to be biased" is NOT the point for me. In years past I have been responsible for conducting valid surveys and for assessing the validity of others. A 'survey' done by the party to benefit from the outcome simply does not come across as valid among those of us who have been professionally involved in conducting surveys -- in fact, it is the classic warning signal for lack objectivity and validity.
Wheelabrator has hundreds of millions of dollars to do whatever they want to and with surveys and all kinds of media -- who is going to pay for an alternative survey? Wheelabrator knows this.

Please be independent, but also please do not be naive.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford
...who is going to pay for an alternative survey? Wheelabrator knows this...

Maybe the Hawaii County Chapter of the League of Women Voters would be interested in doing a survey.

I just went to the website and found this Oahu Centric 1974 Report entitled:

GARBAGE -- THERE'S NO "AWAY" TO THROW IT TO BESIDES, WE NEED THE STUFF

Some interesting stuff and I can't believe the State has taken this long to act.

-------
A.R.A.S.
Acceptance Respect Affection and Support
Bob Trask
quote:
Originally posted by Damonwhich owns 3,471 acres on the island of Hawaii\

\\If WB owns land on the island, they wouldn't want to crap it up, would they?
I don't have a horse in this race, other than I would like to see a workable solution to garbage and energy.