Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
permanent circle of death at Ainaloa
makuu222, 
I haven’t driven that stretch of road for several months so for what it’s worth, at that time I managed 10-25 mph.  A fair number of burnt out car bodies halfway in the road. Signs pockmarked with bullet holes.  It’s the post-apocalyptic part of Puna.
" . . . burnt out car bodies . . . Signs pockmarked with bullet holes."

Ooooohhhh, nice! Sounds like that scary Batman Gotham ride at Six Flags. Now I'm gonna have to take Frau Chunkster and Siegfried the Chunkhund to see it.
Well I gambled and took it.  It was OK. It had some ruts but nothing major. Just slow going about 20MPH. It worked out pretty good really. The major holdup is 130 going to Pahoa. It was backed up as far as I could see. Even the top part of Makuu was backed up. Hwy 130 going to Hilo from Pahoa was wide open.
I'm near the bottom of Makuu and use it all the time. We do have a high ground clearance SUV.
I'm used to junk cars and bullet holes .

Here's an update from the state :
Paving on the main Keaau-Pahoa Highway 130 is completed and the only remaining paving work of the travel lanes is on Ainaloa Blvd which they plan to complete today.
If everything goes smoothly, paving of all lanes should be completed today and we can cancel next weekend scheduled paving. This paving work along Ainaloa Blvd will require a one-lane closure so there will be some delay on the main Highway to let the Ainaloa Blvd traffic in and out.
Throughout the week, there will be hand paving shoulder work which may require short duration, intermittent one-lane closures but traffic shouldn’t be affected much.
A couple weeks from now, the final striping work will be installed. According to the contractor/engineer, lane closures will not be needed so traffic should be okay for that work.
After that, there will only be minor work to complete the project.
I just came from the roundabout. Pahoa bound and entering from Makuu I waited ten minutes to get through it and coming home I didn't have to wait at all. Hot tip: they go to lunch at noon and both lanes were open. Not as bad as I had feared.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Went today Hilo bound around 1:00pm, buzzed right on thru...back home to Pahoa around 3:00pm, no problem...right on thru.

Dee
(10-07-2020, 01:15 AM)d96778 Wrote: Went today Hilo bound around 1:00pm, buzzed right on thru...back home to Pahoa around 3:00pm, no problem...right on thru.

Dee

Helicopters are supposed to fly over the ocean....
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
The circle is a bit too small in diameter. They also could have kept some traffic out of the roundabout itself by creating a right turn only lane for folks headed south into Ainaloa from Hilo.
Somebody has raised the bar at the roundabout by not only taking out a half dozen delineators ,they also took out not one but two street lights and ended up stuck after going through on the wrong side of the road.

On a side not the riceboys are using the brick portion as a drifting track judging by all the tire marks.
the brick portion as a drifting track

It does seem the brick circle in the middle of the roundabout, without a curb, has become an optional shortcut. That is unless drivers misjudge, catch their tires on the slope, then veer off course hitting the instant stop signs cleverly disguised as streetlight poles.