Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac Made Easy open in Hilo
quote:
Originally posted by jlgerk

No kalakoa, the problem is they did not hire me when they were looking a few months ago. Better a hip young cheap kid then a mature adult. Sound familiar ?

quote:
Originally posted by rainshadowOnce by warranty (house visit by qualified tech - definitely not MME, I refuse to talk to those ingrates), the rest by my own little creative head/hand. Everything is possible with a little effort.

And this is what my point was - kid did not even let it charge the amt of time possibly needed, and then no effort.

Apple may have great products but the local service level is not as great as the product design (at least in Hilo).

I know little about TropicMac but they did fix my hubby's iphone 4 for $60, and it was past his skill level to fix it.
I havent read all the posts here yet......

FYI, the people running the Mac Made Easy store in Hilo across from Garden Exchange is not run by the same person that opened it up 4+years ago. I know this because it was my brother Jeff Ward that opened the store for the owners who live on Oahu and have other stores on other islands as well (blond lady I met once).... My brother was hired because he is a certified tec w/ Mac and at the time lived in HPP w/ my mother, he found the place to rent, cleaned it knocked down walls painted/renovated it, bought the display cases, made that Hilo Apple sign etc...... but things went sour after about a year when the owner on Oahu tried to cut his pay from an agreed upon salary type pay to a hourly wage (cutting well into his take home pay weekly), so he balked, she told him to quite, he said no because he would NOT get unemployment then, so she fired him, so he took her to court and it took a couple years to clear it up (going to Oahu for court) and he finally settled on a 6 figure settlement against that Oahu lady (w/much going to attorney fees).... IMO even though I no longer go in that store, if it is still owned by that habitually lying blond lady from Oahu it is a shady place and they dont treat their employees right and go through them fast usually hiring many from the local colleges here in Hilo
just my opinion

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
KapohoCat - you are correct about local service.

Here's a suggestion:
- call apple for support and generate an ID. Insist on a house call. They will deny it categorically. Push, but give in.
- You will then receive an email to review the level of service you received on you apple call. The last item is for comment. Be professional but blunt and decry the lack of house call service (and service here in general). Insist that they send someone to your house due to being way out in the boonies.

You should then receive a phone call from an apple rep. And... they may repeat the above, in which case you'll get another review link and should do the same as above. Eventually you will get to the main supervisor(s), because you're making so much noise.

I'm not saying this is fun, or right, or convenient or whateva... just sayin' that the squeaky wheel...

I'm working (err... typing) under the assumption that you have Applecare, as well. If you don't then you're probably on your own.
At least financially.

'Course, if you have a general service computer (ie PC w/MS), then you'll be good to go anywhere you look. It's why there's one in every household. But apparently you don't. Smile
Good luck.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
The blonde lady who owns mac made easy is a real bitch. I interviewed with her and was not impressed, I guess my forthrightness and forward looking knowledge about Apple and its business did not impress her either, she thought the ipad and macbook air were gimmicks, she knew very little about Apple and did not have the Apple spirit. I am glad she did not give me the job. I sell a couple macs a year on my own not even having a job, I have probably sold over 100 in my lifetime. As a young kid I went in on my own to my local microcenter when they launched the imac, I believe it was april 14th 1998, I dragged customers out of the pc section and sold 6 imacs that day alone. Owning Apple stock has also been quite rewarding.

When you buy an Apple product always buy the Applecare and always deal with Apple directly, unless its no longer covered, then it would be best to find alternative means, someone like me. I bought a Macbook pro from Apple 6 years ago, they replaced it with a newer model two years in after I had two minor issues, this model is still running great even though it is no longer covered and I expect it to run for a couple more years, Im going to put in an SSD to liven it up, it currently is to slow to edit my 1080p 60fps gopro footage, let alone the higher resolutions.

Macs that are a couple years old can find easy cheap parts on the internet that will make it good as new. I am about to put a new used tested motherboard in my girlfriends five year old macbook, it cost $70 on ebay.
i have used the guy that has tropic mac in old town and he is very good and reasonable and quick...
quote:
Originally posted by rainshadow...
'Course, if you have a general service computer (ie PC w/MS), then you'll be good to go anywhere you look. It's why there's one in every household. But apparently you don't. Smile
Good luck.

-- rainshadow

But I do. I use a compaq laptop that is my workhorse.

We just got the ipad to be able to have my mom Facetime with her other kids and grandkids before...
Funny thing: the one time I ever needed a Mac-specific cable, Mac Made Easy actually had it in stock. Tropic Mac apparently doesn't sell any hardware...
Tropic mac is a good place to get older hardware, but it is hit or miss.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb