Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving a house (if lava comes)- Urban legend?
Thank you,everyone for the responses.
If possible,I'd like to know the names of the companies in BI who can do house moving.
Kikiaola Construction Co in Waimea is listed in the Phone Book 867-1901

Oh! Do you have a Hawaii County phone book? the are easy & free to get (the Paradise Pages even are send to mainland 1(800)489-8230)
I remember seeing a TV show on History Mega Movers. One of the shows featured an old plantation style house being moved from Honokaa to near the volcano. It was a huge, complicated and costly job.

PERIL IN PARADISE travels nearly 500 miles to showcase two challenging projects. In Hawaii, an old plantation house is placed deep into a rain forest on the edge of an active volcano.

http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=69694&v=history_show_mega-movers

Watch the videos here:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/mega-m.../608853184
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcOkt_yrjSM
This could be a real advantage to container homes, forklift and a set of wheels and your down the road no fuss
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Just keep in mind that if the lava comes, you and a thousand other people will be trying to hire the same truck, so it's not a very practical idea.
Can't ignore the above!
(thanks Stillhope [Big Grin])
Thank you,Bystander and Carey!
It was really helpful.

But I really think that having your house insured will be a problem.
It would be interesting to work some kind of a deal with HPIA,including the moving part.
Yes,I know ,I am dreaming..
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Just keep in mind that if the lava comes, you and a thousand other people will be trying to hire the same truck, so it's not a very practical idea.
Can ignore the above!

??????
When Kalapana burned, it was a slow-motion disaster that took months. Most people that wanted their house moved had time to do it, and those that lost their homes had time to strip them. Unless lava is flowing over steep ground, it should behave similarly, giving some time.
Leilaniguy,do you know if some of those people who actually moved their houses were able to temporarily place them at some public location?
To my understanding,if it is a national dsaster,public places are being used to shelter people who can not return to their homes.
I know,it's different...But buying another lot is not an option for everyone.
As I posted earlier, the state requires a very long time before they reopen lava flow lands, the flow in the Kalapana area from the 1990's is just now reopening to the land-owners...

To clarify this, at the time of a flow there are many services that people may want, including a connection to a road, some public utilities & sanitation.... although I know some of you will say that they do not need any of this.

If a PUBLIC road is cut off by lava, only the public entity in charge can legally work on the road.... without an open road, it will be hard to get any larger equipment ... the 2 guys that were left in Royal Gardens before this last flow, relied on motorcycles to travel... not a practical option if you are planning to move your house back onto your lot, or re-establishing a wastewater system, & challenging even to get your catchment system back...

I am pretty sure that the state would not be footing the bill for the land, by offering public places for people to move their houses onto AND live for a decade or so.... (I can imagine there would be huge liability for the state to do so, including providing public services for all of the structures, along with the improbability of moving some OFF of the land after that length of time... )