Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Dive Club
Hi All!

I helped Pam and Chili move the compressor and have been bugging them to go diving for monthes ;P Why, I was bugging them just last weekend. Guess all my pestering must have been festering and gotten under their skin. Or maybe we just all really want to dive!!!

So, even though i'll be seeing Pam and maybe Chili tonight, sign me up! I look forward to meeting everyone else.

I have certainly spent a lot of time snorkelling around the Kapoho tide pools, is that the location we are looking at diving at? Does it get deep there? I know i am a healthy swimmer and getting out past the surf in 2 feet of water with four foot surf can be pretty hard, especially with dive gear on! I will be available to help carpool people and lug gear around for some of the less mobile of you fogies. Wink That's me paying ya all back for imparting some of your wizened/hackneyed stories to me.

I will post me number (858)232-0914 for anyone needing to coordinate.

Wooo Hoo!!! Let's get wet!

Hazen

An easy entry point is important for the first dive and I don't think Kapoho is suitable because of the distance to get out beyond the reef. Has anyone here ever dove at Isaac Hale Beach Park? I know that there is a boat ramp there which would make for an easy entry

Maybe Hilo would be the best bet for the first dive since there are a few easy entry places but since I have never taken a dive over here on the East Side I am not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dive site? Again it should have an easy entry/exit for this first dive because a few of the people that will participate are a little rusty. I'd love to read your suggestions.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
The boat ramp at Isaac Hale is fairly slimy, so it is more of a slip 'n' slide entry. The last two weeks of south swells have also increased the surfers & reduced vis.
For general refresher/get to know every one, there is always Hilo Bay outside the breakwater (all the way to Richardsons, usually where UH-H has their diver checks), with some really nice entries, usually good vis, quite a few fish bowls & such. Added plus for the pro divers among us, most of the beaches have lifeguards with training for dive emergencies, and easy access to the med center.
Bill over at Nautilus is very good about turnaround time for gear checks (mine was done in two days!
Speaking of Diving, I am organizing a clean up of 4 Mile Beach (James Kealoha Beach Park) on Saturday Sept. 16 10am-2pm, & Bill should be having a crew out on Sunday Morning the 17th for the Underwater Cleanup (He does need to know your dive skill, as this cleanup involves working with junk in the water - last year the guys picked up over 55 gals of broken glass, plus car parts, building materials & such). Contact Bill at Nautilus for more info on the dive 935-6939.
Oh, sorry I didn't respond to this thread, but I have been busy with seals, turtles, transistioning the Hilo Bay Watershed Advisory Group & relatives this last month, so I have not been doing much else on the computer. I am interested in the dive on the 27th, maybe Jim, the hubby, too. Have some extra gear & plan on placing a dive gear order this week, so if anyone is interested in joining the order, email me, or reply on the forum.
Aloha, Carey

Carey:

Richardson's Beach looks like a very good choice to me. I looked it up on Google and found this link: http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/beaches/richardsons.html

It looks like it has good marine life, easy entry and even showers and restrooms. Looks perfect for dive number one to me.

I will probably be up for the beach clean up that you mention as well on Sept 16.

Hope you and your husband can make it and I look forward to meeting you guys.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Lots of places being mentioned for the first dive. I agree with Andrew that in Hilo would be best because it has at least 3 easy access dive locations. We want this first gathering to be easy and fun for all concerned. Some of us are a bit rusty, (thats putting it mildly) so if we pair up with someone who has the same interests for what they want, and expect from thier first dive in a while. this will work out well for everyone. Looks like we're getting a sizable group tpgether. The fun is just beginning.
Chili

We get out of life......What we put into it
Is there going to be anyone going to the dive just to snorkel and meet the rest of the group? Cathie isn’t a diver but it would be fun to try snorkeling on the east side. Eventually I would like to try diving again to see if it is something I would enjoy enough to invest the money into. In the past I’ve always had a hard time clearing my ears. I would have to really work at getting them to pop at about 10-12 feet, after that not much problem.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Join the fun Royall. This thing is about people getting together for the love of the water.Whether you are into snorkling, scuba diving, or just plain socializing with the people there, all are welcome. There are lots of things top side for non-divers and snorklers to keep busy with. If I'm not mistaken, most of us probably started out snorkling before we tried scuba. And I for one still enjoy it. Hope to see you there.
Chili

Here goes the medical person in me...

Royal: the popping is actually equalizing the pressure around a curve in your eustacean tubes. As you dive repeatedly the tubes soften and become more flexible, and the clearing happens more easily... so take your time and don't worry about it. If it takes a while to equalize, so be it... Smile

I am totally up for the 27th. I hope we try the Hilo area and though i don't know it, if Richardson's is where UHH takes students for break in dives, it might ber good. I am unanle to carry equipment over rocks so we do need a smooth entry point. Hazen, you can be my sherpa any old day. I can always put on my BC in the water ...

I will be doing a check out dive with my equipment and probably won't be doing any depth. I think this is a good time for divers, snorklers, spouses who stay on the beach, etc... to gather and get to know one another. IMHO... Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I think Richardsons would be an excellent choice, especially if you are a little rusty as I'm sure many of us are. Sand beach entry, life guards, police outstation and restrooms and showers. HOWEVER if there is a strong swell running stay away far away from the rock or entry point to the ocean. Not to scare anyone but people have drowned there and the current, like any place on the island, can be strong. As long as you know your physical limits and keep within your limits it will be fun. I can't wait for things to slow down for me so I can participate! Don't forget to check out the turtles that feed right in front of the life guard stand. There is a giant one that is there every time I go to Richardsons. Oh, and Royal just remember to equalize early and often and don't feel rushed to go down and you will do fine I'm sure. I have the same problem and I'm usually the last to get to the same level as everyone else but 9 times out of 10 I have close to 500lbs left when we surface, which so far has always been more than my buddy. I really will be there with you all in spirit! Have a blast!! pj

Well my fellow divers, it looks like Richardson's Beach Park is the location of the dive planned for the 27th of this month. Don't have a tide chart handy but it's not needed to make a dive. Would be handy though. Talked with Andrew last night and we set 9:00 am for the show up time. Hope to see a lot of you there. "LET'S GO DIVING".