Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
health food store
I understand that Mike Gabbard is quite involved in Down to Earth. Therefore, I will NEVER shop there.

John Dirgo, R, BIC, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
Who is Mike Gabbard?

And who is Gabbo?
I'd never heard of Mike Gabbard but reading through those links I see:

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu...e-Gabbard/
"In the late 1980s, the Gabbards, opened the Natural Deli, a vegetarian restaurant within Mö'ili'ili's Down to Earth Natural Food Store. [...] Gay rights activists picketed his deli, and Down to Earth eventually bought out Gabbard's business. The station pulled the plug on his radio program."

That was 2004. You may want to check if a business really has an association with a person before boycotting them.
(I have no idea if he does or doesn't, but it seems unlikely)
OK. Just to summarize what I think I understand: Down to Earth has just taken over the space formerly occupied by Island Naturals. That space was located right near to the entrance/exit to the giant shopping center where Walmart is. They had a deli.

Now, Island Naturals has moved closer to the university.

Mike Gabbard has an interest in Down to Earth. Mike Gabbard has made intense efforts to inject his religious beliefs into the laws of Hawaii. He believes, perhaps correctly, that his view is majoritarian...at least on Oahu, and that will protect him and, in fact, may even propel him to greater political heights. I guess he reasons that if promoting segregation worked for Strom Thurmond, a similar approach can work for Mike Gabbard.

If the above is true (and correct me if I am wrong), I will be avoiding Down to Earth until Mr. Gabbard understands that gay people walk this earth, too, by the millions, and that we don't regard ourselves as second class citizens.

But who is Gabbo?
I am glad to see that this subject came up. I was told of some things about DTE business practices early on in this topic but it was hearsay so I have been sitting quietly seeing if it would come up again. Lynn and I had already decided we would likely avoid DTE based on what we were told privately but I have been trying to substantiate it.

As I understand it and in my own dealings Russell (owner of Island Naturals) is a good guy and the employees are happy to to be associated with Island Naturals so it seems like a good choice for us.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
OH Dear... if that is true, it looks like those guys are going to fit in here like a sore thumb! What a shame. I do think some substantiation is in order though. Rumors are easy to spread.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Love your summation Glen.
IN has not moved closer to the university though. University being on Kawili, it's closer to the Maka`ala location.
IN has moved to shopping center that you reach if you come straight out of the airport, cross highway, and continue up to Kilauea. I personally find it difficult because although it's a corner, the only practical way to get in during busy hours is off Kilauea, and to get out a right turn is the way to go. The shopping center is a pain. Devany keeps saying to do planned shopping early in the morning, but doing that would make ME unhappy.

Hmm, me unhappy and forced into a schedule that doesn't come natural to me, or me shop somewhere else even though I like the people?
Please, if someone learns that Mr. Homophobe is no longer tied to the DTE business in any meaningful way, let us know.
I think the in and out for where Island Naturals is now is easier and less crowded and maybe safer than getting out by Chevron in Walmart parking lot on either side unless you go past walmart past CD wizard make a right and come back around.
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
-Dudley Field Malone
quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

OK. Just to summarize what I think I understand: Down to Earth has just taken over the space formerly occupied by Island Naturals. That space was located right near to the entrance/exit to the giant shopping center where Walmart is. They had a deli.

Mike Gabbard has an interest in Down to Earth. Mike Gabbard has made intense efforts to inject his religious beliefs into the laws of Hawaii. He believes, perhaps correctly, that his view is majoritarian...at least on Oahu, and that will protect him and, in fact, may even propel him to greater political heights. I guess he reasons that if promoting segregation worked for Strom Thurmond, a similar approach can work for Mike Gabbard.

If the above is true (and correct me if I am wrong), I will be avoiding Down to Earth until Mr. Gabbard understands that gay people walk this earth, too, by the millions, and that we don't regard ourselves as second class citizens.

But who is Gabbo?

aloha...Just ran across this post today. For the record, I do not now or have I ever owned any interest in Down To Earth. We leased space from DTE in Honolulu from 1988 to 1992, when our ohana operated "The Natural Deli," an all vegetarian restaurant. While we may have differing views on same-sex marriage, I have the utmost respect and aloha for all human beings. I am currently the state senator for District 19 in West Oahu, and chairman of the Energy and Environment Committee. If I can ever be of assistance, please contact my office at 586-6830.

quote:
Originally posted by mikegabbard

quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

But who is Gabbo?