Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Ocean Entry Yet, Surface Flows in Royal Gardens
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

If anyone cares to share in advance when conditions look good up there, I would love it. It's disappointing to drive an hour each way only to hit fog, drizzle, and no glow.

hey kathy! yep it's hard to predict, and even when things are happening, to expect any condition to remain. with that said the best indicator for me is the web cams that points down into the vent.. at:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/HMcam/

if you can see molten material in that view, during the day, then you will see lots of glow (if those same conditions persist) in the night. if all you see in that web cam view is a wash.. ie no detail just gas... then there is less of a chance you'll see glow in the evening.

btw.. I am posting this now.. because when you asked your question there was little going on.. and now (11:30am Sunday) it appears to be pretty active indeed.. ie probable good conditions this evening.. if conditions persist.
Thanks dakine, Glen, Devany, DoryGray! I had never thought of checking the webcam even though it's the perfect resource.
I want to go up there when my son is over, and he just left. Not feeling that energetic to go by myself, but maybe next week ...
I'm recovering from a severe asthma event and I probably shouldn't go near the volcano until my lung inflammation has settled down. I didn't think about that until I thought about actually going tonight, and then I realized it's not a good idea.
Kathy,

My husband has sent over respirators for a couple of people. Do you have one? We get them reasonably over here. You might check HD for those heavy vog days. We heard that it does help, even if needed for just a few hours of filtered air. Let me know.

mella l

Paris London New York PUNA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Monday night;

Waikupanaha- No ocean entry yet; Good glow from TEB area, surface flow developing on top of Pali (eastern side).

Stoneface
Kathy, Sorry to hear of your asthma, probably a good idea to breathe fresh air till things change.

Greg, thanks for your tireless posts and updates on the lava. Leigh you too! It is great to have such resources, as the "Lava Hotline" seems to be updated about once a week...not much of a hot line when things change daily.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Still no ocean entry, although yesterday afternoon (Tue) there was a puff of steam that lasted a couple of minutes then stopped.

There is however, a lot of surface flow developing. Royal Gardens has some remaining forest areas being covered with a lot of smoke and fire resulting.

Lava is sitting on top of the Pali on the east side of the flow also.

Stoneface
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

... There is however, a lot of surface flow developing..

'morning Greg

Thanks for the update from down there. Up here the magma in the summit vent has withdrawn to depths deeper than can be seen, resulting in minimal glow, and no views of activity early this morning. Most notable is the large deflation - that is this time effecting both the summit and the rift pretty evenly - and at this point one can assume is the 'D' part of a 'DI' event - which depending on how long we wait to see the 'I' part kick in - could mean the slowing down or stopping of the flow you are seeing down there.

btw.. there's a great set of pics, with captions, showing detailed behavior changes of the magma cycling through the summit vent, that are the latest postings on HVO's Update pages.. at:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html
HVNP says the ocean entry has stopped and seems unlikely to resume in the near future. The Thanksgiving Eve Breakout (the scary one) now seems pretty active. There is lava on the pali. So, my guess is that is where the action is now. Summit is quieting down a little, although the plume seems thicker.
Surface flow has reached the top of the pali and is advancing downslope fairly rapidly.
Sorry for being stupid, I haven't been to the park for a few months, but where's the best place to view the current surface flow? Can it be seen from the end of the Chain of Craters road?

Tom