Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you reading?
GUNS,GERMS AND STEEL the fates of human societies by Jared Diamond. Started it on the 16 hour flight over here about halfway through and love it's perspective. And never only one at a time so I am rereading one of my favorite A classics Jaroslav Hasek's THE GOOD SOLDIER SVEJK. The story of Hasek's life is as intriguing as his masterpiece SVEJK.
Just down-loaded an ebook called, "The Antidote: Happiness for People who Can't Stand Positive Thinking." A funny and informative take on the booming "search-for-happiness" industry.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
I have been working my way through a whole set of mysteries that take place in Alaska, written by a woman named Dana Stabenow (maybe Stabbenow). The main character is a native woman named Kate Shugak whose sidekick is a half wolf/half dog named Mutt. They are not Literature with a capitol L, but I've been really enjoying them. Each on is set in a different Alaskan environment: the pipeline, native fishing camps, guided trophy hunts, canneries and so on and I've learned a lot about the culture and environment of Alaska.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan (...downloaded onto my Kindle (and other devices) for free from the Hawaii State Public Library System's excellent e-book/audio-book website.
"The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy, and "The Sun", an independent monthly... I like fiction
It occurred to me belatedly that I probably should have provided a link to the public library system's website. One can easily narrow/limit one's search by Format, current-Availability, etc etc. Max checkouts at any one time per HSPLS-card is 10.

http://hawaii.libraryreserve.com/10/50/e...Search.htm
I'm on chapter 7 of " Hawaiki Rising" by Sam Low. A story of Hokule'a from 1973 to 2013. Truly admire those men and women who have been part of this project.
Ryrie NASB

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
"Change We Must" by Nana Veary

"Nana I Ke Kumu" - Vol. I & Vol. II (Refresher reading)

"Shoal of Time" - (For reference)
Escape from Camp 14. Couldn't put it down. Read cover to cover nonstop all night.

North Korea’s political prison camps have existed twice as long as Stalin’s Soviet gulags and twelve times as long as the Nazi concentration camps. No one born and raised in these camps is known to have escaped. No one, that is, except Shin Dong-hyuk.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.