Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking trail head
I was thinking that same thing - great photos and thank you

I have seen lots of stink eye references. Then could not help but wonder about stink eye and camera, the brain kind of slams down on that one.
anyone planning another hike? I'd like to go. If you too want to go speak up! Smile Find a sunday or saturday everyone can live with and go for a hike!
My fishing partner whose favorite spot is on the coast near Papai Bay advised today that the gate on Hawn Homes land is closed and permission required to venture beyond to the northern Shipman boundary.

Aloha aina, aloha kai
Aloha aina, aloha kai
Permission from whom?
Yes, permission from whom? It's either a public road/trail/byway or it's not.
I remember hearing someone say you need HHL permission to get to green sands beach at south point. They loan you the key for a $15 deposit or something along those lines. Is it possible a similar scenario exists for the Kings Landing gate?
I found this news article from 2002 about the gate:

A group called Malama Ka 'Aina Hana Ka 'Aina is using a metal gate to block access to the shoreline more than five miles east of downtown Hilo. Group leader Skippy Ioane told the Keaukaha Community Association recently that the move was meant to keep non-Hawaiians from "stealing our 'opihi and limu," said association President Patrick Kahawaiola'a.

Ioane is part of a contingent of 10 families believed to include about 50 individuals who have been living on undeveloped Department of Hawaiian Home Lands property south of King's Landing.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...ln11a.html
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Well that was 12 years ago. Is Skippy still in charge today?
You can try inquiring in person at DLNR if public access is possible at all.

My fishing bud and I follow a protocol of respect: regardless if the gate is open or closed we stop, and wait for someone to talk story or wave us thru. And we share our catch if can.

We were told that the gate is open during school kids commute times, and not an invitation to outsider access. There used to be Aloha days, but I think those are done - maybe someone closer to the community can correct me.

Aloha aina, aloha kai
Aloha aina, aloha kai