Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun question
Hawaiideborah,
To answer your perfectly reasonable question about how it all went down: my understanding is the neighbor called in his accusation after a falling out with my friend over a shared driveway, the cops checked the records and saw that the Dad had had guns registered at that address, and that the son now lived there, with no record of registering the guns. The cops came to talk to him about it, and my friend was honest about having the guns on the property. He honestly did not think it was going to be a big deal, that he would just go down and register them. Instead he was put through a grand jury process, and then prosecuted.

This is a real event that happened in Puna, not a "tall tale" as afwjam put it. I have no reason to lie or exaggerate about this, I was just warning new residents that Hawaii takes gun laws seriously. But to publicly state "....granted Im sure it was a tall tale to began with" is calling me, or my friend, liar.

Regardless of what your personal interpretation of the 2nd amendment is, the state of Hawaii has a very clear position on personal ownership and registration of guns. New residents should know what that position is, so they can make informed choices, and they need to know the consequences of ignoring Hawaii's gun laws.

This thread reminds me of when a punawebber refused to believe me when I said home invasions happen here, even in HPP. I was told I was just wrong, that the eye witness accounts I got from my students were lies (since the source of my information was teenagers they must be lying), and that I must be deluded or lying when I reported that these stories had been confirmed by the parents of my students, and that even though these events had happened to these families personally it is all just an urban legend. As we all now know from recent events, home invasions do happen in Puna, even in HPP.

Just because someone says something you don't like, it doesn't mean they are lying.

As an aside, my mother, who was a judge on the mainland for about 30 years, says she has never seen a state use grand juries the way Hawaii does. In most places they save grand juries for major cases, not little stuff.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol,
Thanks for your response. It seems like something I would do, just usher them in and be honest when you have nothing to hide. Sometimes bad things happen to very good people. I hope your friends are recovered from this horrible event and everything that went with it.

hawaiideborah
exactly the reason not to ever register a gun, only bureaucracy can bring that sort of wrong, everything else that evil you can shoot at.
So, the state of Hawaii follows the letter of the law concerning firearms very seriously. Then why (this is what I've understand-no first hand knowledge here) does the HI law state that citizens can obtain a carry permit, but then once the applications enter the system, none are ever issued? Or is that true? Don't know how to check the number of permits issued either. Does anyone have info on this? I do not want or intend to apply for one. I am just seeking information.
I hope that the state that takes firearms so seriously, then makes sure to hand out the stiffest possible sentences to those that commit a crime with a firearm and handgun.

By the way, I remember from many years ago that the NRA was pushing for automatic extended sentences for anyone using a firearm in commission of a crime.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Sorry to cite Wikipedia, but it's what I found quickly:

quote:
In Hawaii, carry is allowed with a permit, but it's restricted to "On Duty, In Uniform" and one's employer must register through a local police department. Generally, active and retired peace officers, uniformed security personnel, armored couriers, and active-duty military members are granted permits. The aforementioned policy makes Hawaii a No-Issue jurisdiction in practice.

"And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody, outside of a small circle of friends ~ Phil Ochs
It is easier (and less expensive) to get a gun into Hawaii and register it than a dog. What is the fuss? I am bringing both, by the way.
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

So, the state of Hawaii follows the letter of the law concerning firearms very seriously. Then why (this is what I've understand-no first hand knowledge here) does the HI law state that citizens can obtain a carry permit, but then once the applications enter the system, none are ever issued? Or is that true? Don't know how to check the number of permits issued either. Does anyone have info on this? I do not want or intend to apply for one. I am just seeking information.
I hope that the state that takes firearms so seriously, then makes sure to hand out the stiffest possible sentences to those that commit a crime with a firearm and handgun.

By the way, I remember from many years ago that the NRA was pushing for automatic extended sentences for anyone using a firearm in commission of a crime.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

The key here is that the law as written states "may issue" rather than "shall issue", at the discretion (whim) of the chief of police. There are supposedly some carry permits out there in the possession of politically connected individuals. I never heard of any "regular civilian" who had one.

quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

So, the state of Hawaii follows the letter of the law concerning firearms very seriously. Then why (this is what I've understand-no first hand knowledge here) does the HI law state that citizens can obtain a carry permit, but then once the applications enter the system, none are ever issued? Or is that true?
There seems to be a lot of misinformation posted here, at least about the law if not de facto reality. The law is that concealed carry permits are only issued on a case-by-case basis to people who have threats to their property or person. Don't know anyone who's tried so I don't know how stringent the standard is.
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent...4-0009.htm
We don't want people marching around Pahoa with a gun in their pocket, like they do in Waikiki. You can have a gun in Hawaii. What you are unlikely to be able to do, as in most states, is to conceal it on your person and carry it around. Somehow this gets conflated into "Hawaii won't let you have a gun.". Yes it will (and by law, it must). And if you are a judge or have a certifiably insane and violent ex-boyfriend, you have a good shot, so to speak, at being issued a concealed carry permit, too.

And if you don't like it, move to Texas or Alaska.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

And if you don't like it, move to Texas or Alaska.

Where the crime is way down with the introduction of conceal and carry laws.... Wink