• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of a catchment tank cover
Hearya Go punnlvr,

1 mil = .001"

http://www.discountplasticbags.com/pages...Means.html

aloha,
pog
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_di..._ml_and_mm

Pog, here is a link. Maybe you can help me figure it out!!

Mahalo!

punalvr
punalvr
"mm for length, ml for liquid " ...in that link.

Either could be used for volume or area measurements.

aloha,
pog
Thanks, Tom, for the slide show! Beautiful pictures. I miss my Hawaii!

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
So what does a tank cover do? The manual from the state really advocated having a solid cover, not sure why because to a large extent whatever falls on the tank also falls on the roof and makes its way into the tank eventually. One difference though is that if you have installed a first flush device then the roof water is a bit cleaner.

Everyone uses shade cloth and no one seems to die so seems like a porous cover is OK. What does make sense is to prevent the cover from sagging into the water when the tank is full. I built a tank out of a couple of 5' x 16' cattle panels and some 6 mil black plastic. When done I put a 10' x 10' square of shade cloth over it stretched drum-tight. It fit perfectly and only cost $25 although I had the shock-cord ties already. Instead of penetrating the bottom of the tank I put the 3/4" pvc suction pipe over the side and down to where the side meets the bottom. I used a socket x 3/4" female thread elbow on the vertical and a socket x male thread fitting on a horizontal section reaching to the center of the tank. I jammed a water filter over the plain end of the horizontal and plugged the other end of the filter. I suspended this end of the pick-up pipe from an inflatable ball so that water is drawn from about a foot below the surface. The threaded fittings, greased with silicone grease, act as a hinge. When the tank is full the ball lifts up on the center of the shade cloth to prevent a birdbath from forming.
Just off for a late shift, but generally:

ml = millilitre = metric unit of volume (one thousandth of a litre)

mil = mil = imperial unit of length (generally thickness), 1 thousandth of an inch. In the UK it used to be called a "thou" because the definition of large numbers used to be different between the US and UK.

mm = millimetre = metric unit of length (one thousandth of a metre).

ml and mil are not the same thing, although ml is pronouced "mil".

Confused?

Glad you liked the pictures, it's ages since I took them!
The Amazon ad specifies "mm"
http://www.amazon.com/PoolTux-121225A-Winter-21-Feet-Ground/dp/B004VU94PC/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358210195&sr=1-1&keywords=PoolTux+121225A+King+Winter+Cover

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Jesus! I finally got it! Thanks TomK, we should adopt one system, and I believe the US is the only one using the imperial unit still. Thanks, cause I never knew for sure.
Now, back to covers..
Some friends buy covers, and they install rivet kind of things to let the water go into the tank instead of sagging down and stretching the cover. What is the right kind? Some even use big plastic balls under the cover to keep it up. I want water to sip thru the cover. Any suggestions?

punalvr
punalvr
punalvr - no problem! Some of us grew up using both imperial and metric systems. I can usually do a rough conversion in my head between the two systems, but prefer metric as it involves less memory work.
Thanks tomk, that is my case! LOL

punalvr
punalvr