Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep

Definitely big news even here where I live...a lot of frustration with the protesters always shows up in discussions. Everyone is in favor of the cool telescope Smile

Pam in CA

Thanks for the reality check.
JMO here. This TMT project really should not be happening on our island at all, or in this state period. This is the aloha state of Hawaii, we have tourists by the millions who spend millions to walk on our prestigious beaches and breath our fresh warm tropical air. Our wonderful people of this aina work very hard catering to this tourism industry. They sacrifice much of everything that is important to them to share this beautiful place with these visitors. Why should this thirty meter telescope be built near the summit of maunakea? How does this help tourism, or our keiki of tomorrow? Why do the Canadians, japanese, and many of the worlds others want to build this godzilla here? This would and could alter or change much of maunakea protectors past, present, and future.
Nature, Culture, and our islands aloha spirit VS big business, space, war, money, and D.C.
I see some of you have questions for Tom...he's been able to be in contact a bit, but then vanishes for awhile...he's trying to recover from pneumonia. I know how much he always wants to answer questions but I'm the villain who emails and tells him to REST! Smile. I don't even phone because I want him to rest his voice! saying my prayers for him to recover quickly... I hate not being with him when he is sick. But anyway, I know he will answer posts, email, etc. when he feels well enough.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
I think of the stars when I think of ancient Hawai'i. The Polynesians who first came used them to guide their boat journeys. Every scrap of knowledge of the sky must have been treasured. How much poetry and song found in cultures all over the world romances the beauty of the night sky... It seems fitting to me that such a special place as Mauna Kea should be blessed with the distinction of being one of the few places in the world which can host the best ways we have now to learn secrets of the universe. I think the early Hawaiians would have been in awe of what can be learned now and be proud of the contribution Mauna Kea makes. Doesn't that add to its sacredness?

This is just my opinion, part of the ongoing song in my heart, so don't mind me babbling away Smile. I do respect all points of view and all cultures, as well.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Gypsy
Hotel room cleaners, cooks, waiters, busboys, security guards and car cleaners. Those are the primary jobs if all you have is tourism.

If on the otherhand you have science and industry you have more engineers, researchers, assembly, and office workers.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Morning Pam. Thanks for the insight on Tom's absence. His perspective is missed, especially on this topic, but one's health is of course far more important. Please pass along kind wishes for plenty of rest and a speedy recovery.

No doubt knowledge of the stars is deeply important to Hawaiian culture as evidenced by the numerous chants and stories, as well by contributions to astronomy such as King Kalakaua's role in supporting the 1874 Transit of Venus project that spanned the globe.

However, is it difficult to speculate that this one interest would trump other cultural concerns. Trying to guess the relative importance of these complex values, especially from the outside, is to presume an understanding that may be challenging to justify.

The TMT and Mauna Kea each posses a legacy from the past and a potential for the future; if there is a solution for how these intersect and balance out it's hopefully to be found in allowing each perspective to speak for itself and all sides trying to listen and understand.

IMHO of course.

quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep

I think of the stars when I think of ancient Hawai'i. The Polynesians who first came used them to guide their boat journeys. Every scrap of knowledge of the sky must have been treasured. How much poetry and song found in cultures all over the world romances the beauty of the night sky... It seems fitting to me that such a special place as Mauna Kea should be blessed with the distinction of being one of the few places in the world which can host the best ways we have now to learn secrets of the universe. I think the early Hawaiians would have been in awe of what can be learned now and be proud of the contribution Mauna Kea makes. Doesn't that add to its sacredness?

This is just my opinion, part of the ongoing song in my heart, so don't mind me babbling away Smile. I do respect all points of view and all cultures, as well.

Pam in CA

I totally agree with you. Let's hope all goes back to normal soon and/or the protesters get arrested and out of the way.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

we have tourists by the millions who spend millions to walk on our prestigious beaches and breath our fresh warm tropical air. Our wonderful people of this aina work very hard catering to this tourism industry.

Did you know, most tourists won't even realize the TMT is on Mauna Kea? Most tourists arrive in Kona, and some drive the southern route to visit Volcanoes National Park. The TMT will only be visible from 14% of the Big Island in the Waimea to Paauilo area as it will be on the north slope of Mauna Kea, not on the summit.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
You nailed it perfectly. Bulldoze the savage heathen cultures out of the way and keep the corporate industrial machine moving FORWARD.
TMT will only be visible from 14% of the Big Island in the Waimea to Paauilo area

Finally we get to the root of the problem.

Fortunately the solution is simple: just turn the mountain around so that TMT is only visible from Puna, not Waimea, and everything will be fine.