Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast
We could hear them loud and clear at 16th and Maku'u.

I was following online reports and do not understand why Honomu had sirens going off before Keaukaha and downtown Hilo. It sounds like many of the sirens in lower Puna did not function as needed either. If you live in an inundation zone and did not hear a siren, call civil defense and the mayor's office with the location of the nearest siren and your location. This is a good opportunity to get a count of which sirens do and don't work, as well as what areas are under protected. The county spends a lot of money on the people who are supposed to make these systems work, now is the time to hold them accountable.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The sirens get tested monthly, and there are routinely some which fail to go off. Why they don't get repaired immediately has been discussed in the media, and I recall the main excuse being money, along with some blame shifting between the County and the State. You don't have to be a 1946 or 1960 survivor to know how utterly unacceptable this is.
We heard the siren at 6th & Makuu HPP lound and clear from 8th.
From the Hawaii Trib During the next monthly siren test on Nov. 1, county personnel will be stationed at all sirens to ensure they are operating as expected in concert with Hawaii State Civil Defense. State Civil Defense owns the sirens and takes care of repairs, while Hawaii County Civil Defense coordinates the operation of the sirens and conducts monthly tests.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
Thus the siren testers have no authority over the repair persons, but both can easily blame the other for poor maintenance, lack of budget, poor communication, ad infinitum. Responsibility works better if it is pyramid shaped, not branching further like a tree from its trunk.

The pyramid shape works, as long as responsibility rolls uphill.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Pear shaped - might be more the thing
Even if the sirens worked, those who live on Kaloli Point can NOT EVER hear sirens.
Yes, I emailed and phoned our city council and civil defense about this in the past. The excuse is there is no county land to locate the siren, so if you live in the most dangerous area, you are on your own. Hopefully your neighbors let you know.
Unbelievable that this is acceptable.

Edited for my typos.[Wink]
hawaiideborah
Since you are so fond of telling us you live by the water maybe you would let them put the siren on your land ... THEN you would have something else to talk about.

pog
Coast Guard helicopter flew over Vacationland warning people.
Neighborhood watch drove around Vacationland warning people.
I got emails from Civil Defense and phone calls.