Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring almost nothing when you move
How much exactly is it going to cost you to truck your belongings to the container, and then ship the container, and then have the container delivered here to your residence?
Hi Jullie - About 5000 or there about. We will also be pulling a trailer with my jeep on it. I think I got a quote from Matson for about 8K for them to do it and 12,500 with the cars. So with my do it myself I am figuring about 7500 total or so with 2 cars.
OK, so it sounds like the 20 ft trailer itself is shipping for around 4,000. If your additional belongings in the container are worth more than 3,000 than this makes sense, because it sounds like you could ship the boxes like I did for about 1,000. I think I would have partially filled a 20ft trailer, since I rented the 20 ft uhaul and saw how much space was there. IF the extra space is filled up with larger items worth more than 3,000 and you want to deal with it, then it makes sense. I"m thinking this could cost a bit more than you are thinking to get all your boxes to the container, and have it loaded up. Now, the cars are a different story. Save yourself the stress and do not haul the jeep yourself. Also, is it really that much cheaper to fly from the west coast? Possibly it is. But shipping that car via a car shipper and having them get it on a boat coming to HIlo is very easy and will only cost a small amount- if you figure the trailer rental and extra lag on your Uhaul. JUst my two cents.
For comparison I think I got a carshipper to pick up my van at the carrental place in Austin (not my house) and take it to california and get it oe the boat, and I think I paid about 600 or 800? I dont remember exactly, but it was money well spent! With everything else to plan. Then of course you have to pay matson just their regular rate. I used some centralized place out of florida that has all kinds of independent contractor drivers, and they were fine.
Well the matson container is like 2500 and truck rental + car hauler + insurance is 1450 + gas. I might be a little low on some gas estimates but it is in the ball park. We priced out the car shipping option from here (mn) and Matson wanted about 1000 per car to the coast and independent shippers quotes ran from 1000 and up for both cars, which isn't bad. We are a family of 5 with a cat that we are bringing so if we went that way the wife and kids + cat would need to fly from MN to HI and tickets run about 300.00 per more than seattle (1200). She doesn't / can't really deal with anything so that really isn't an option. We will see how it goes. I figure life is an adventure so buckle up! ;-) We haven't been out to Seattle before so I am excited about the trip!
OK, sorry to "make you have to explain" your decisions. I just wasnt really sure about it and didnt want you to make a mistake. It sounds like you have it figured out. 2500 for a 20 ft trailer deliverd to your door here is cheap! GL
STill I hope you consider mailing the boxes, and then driving both vehicles to the port and shipping the cars. The only thing is that rental cars are far far cheaper on the mainland than Hawaii. If you need one of those, it's probably better to ship the cars way ahead of time and have the rental in MN. When I did it, I got off the plane in Kona (much cheaper airfare), and rented a car for one day to drive over the mountain and to then go pick up my van at HIlo port- where it was waiting for me. Some nice people at the car rental place gave me a ride over to the port for free! I had to rent a car in Texas for 3 1/2 weeks and it cost about 650.
Thanks! I do appreciate it. How often do people buy / put up cabins? Thinking an off grid cabin in kalapana would be awesome....
Cabins are fairly common (of course, if you are inquiring about permitted cabins, they must meet code...), & not permitted is done (but of course not officially allowed) if your neighbors are OK with the cabin (un-permitted), then probably nothing will even come of it... if they don't like it, no good will come of it... (ie, best to know your neighbors before hand!)

Kalapana - out in the lava flow area, is one place where I really don't think there is any of that - heck, when you are worrying about the whims of Pele, the whims of your neighbor are probably trivial!
I am not sure of the building permit laws there, but here in MN you can build a shed like under 10 X 10 and use it as a "camping cabin" and as long as it isn't a home you are fine. IE no running water, electric, ect. Like a season use kind of thing. Could you do something like that there?