Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?!
Make then worth something. - if you could convince people that albezia smoked coming frogs were an aphrodisiac both would disappear
quote:
Originally posted by Rene Siracusa... At the time I suggested planting of native trees in the spaces in between the albizias, and phasing out the albizias, so that the canopy would gradually be replaced with other tree species. I thought that was a reasonable compromise, and still do. Obviously, I was alone and those overhanging branches have grown back.

Rene, that could be because this was a sensible idea? [}Smile] I agree with you in that it keeps the tree tunnel yet will slowly replace with other species that wouldnt be so invasive.

I don't think the problem is people not wanting to cut them down, but the ability to pay to have them cut down. Its not cheap and not everyone can wield a chainsaw, nor afford to hire a tree contractor..
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

quote:
Originally posted by Rene Siracusa... At the time I suggested planting of native trees in the spaces in between the albizias, and phasing out the albizias, so that the canopy would gradually be replaced with other tree species. I thought that was a reasonable compromise, and still do. Obviously, I was alone and those overhanging branches have grown back.

Rene, that could be because this was a sensible idea? [}Smile] I agree with you in that it keeps the tree tunnel yet will slowly replace with other species that wouldnt be so invasive.

Too bad you didn't get more support, Rene. I like the idea...thinking many others would agree and perhaps this needs to be opened again for discussion. Already, we have read in this topic that many who visit the island "love that beautiful, tranquil tunnel of Albizia" but those of us who live here painfully try to stay at 35 MPH (the speed limit through the tunnel of death), hoping one of those tree-size limbs won't crack and fall on the roof of our cars!

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Save up your stryofoam packing materials. When you have a lot, mix with some gasoline. When styrofoam packing dissolves in gasoline and gels, pack it on Albezia plant and ignite carefully. Should be nothing left of plant after it burns out in 15 minutes or so.

No, no. Let's not start any forest fires thank you very much.
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
Napalm may not be the best option
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

I don't know who this "Sun" character is but the two posts I have read sound to me like self-righteous preaching. I lump self-righteous preaching in with complaining as both are expressing an opinion without any useful suggestion for a remedy. I will do my best to refrain from being influenced by Sun's posts until they win back some credibility.

Rainyjim has the answer.
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

Napalm may not be the best option

Technically, dissolving used styrofoam in gasoline is not napalm, but it does exhibit similar qualities.
Maybe the county could start using the Puna Geothermal Slush Fund to clear the County's obligation of hazardous Albizzia trees off of Pahoa-Kapoho road.

Better yet, how about establishing a low-interest long term loan program for the removal of hazardous trees. If the monies were carefully managed the program could become self-sustaining over time.