Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent flow activity
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Bombing was tried at so least once, although it didn't work at the time, so at some point they were willing to intervene. (I was reading something last week that talked about the bombing.) Perhaps the thinking on intervention has changed since then.

I seem to recall they made efforts to save Kapoho village and the warm pond with earth moving as well.

Yes Kathy on both points. And even though those efforts didn't work there have been others, most notably in Italy and Iceland, that have been successful. My point was that the last time our gov was confronted with this issue, during Harry Kim's reign, the county's policy was to keep their hands off of it. And, I doubt anyone's going to reverse that stance now.
Thanks, da kine, for that clarification. Yes, your point is excellent. Policy changes with administrations, and has shifted away from intervention.
If lava were headed for my neighbor's house and the county diverted it so it took my house instead, I would probably sue as would the vast majority of people. Huge liability there, as there should be. The lava is an unstoppable force that has built two 14,000 foot mountains in addition to a few insignificant pimples like Kilauea and Hualalai and Haleakala. The lava is going to go somewhere and it is going to take someone's house. If you don't touch it it is an act of God. If you try to divert it it is quite reasonable to question why your house or your cousin's house was deemed more important than anyone else's.

Hawaii just happens to be a "parasite state" along many others. California, New York and Texas are the biggest producers that take much less federal financial assistance than they generate in federal taxes. Texas takes a lot of financial assistance but it generates such a surplus that it is not so bad but could be better. Alabama and Florida are terrible government moochers while South Carolina and North Dakota are the absolute worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax...g_by_state

so you see this information, let it sink in and then you see a comment such as "If lava were headed for my neighbor's house and the county diverted it so it took my house instead, I would probably sue as would the vast majority of people" and you can clearly see while the politicians are not saying it to your face but clearly showing it by Not taking action. Due to the extremely slow flow of lava and low risk of human life loss It is simply NOT worth the effort to save any home, you can rebuild somewhere else. You are just not that important in the grand scheme of things, your welcome.

'Your whole idea about yourself is borrowed-- borrowed from those who have no idea of who they are themselves.'
'Your whole idea about yourself is borrowed-- borrowed from those who have no idea of who they are themselves.'
There are vast areas here where there are no houses though. Absolutely agree about choosing one house over another.
The actual cone sits inside the national park. There is no way the NPS is ever going to consent to bombing a natural feature within the park boundaries. If they didn't do it when Royal Gardens, Kalapana, and the state park and many cultural features, including an amazing black sand beach, got taken, and didn't do it when this last set of houses got taken, they sure aren't going to start bombing the crater now. The feds would have to agree to any meaningful diversion, and I don't see them doing so for a very "local" problem like the possibility of third of Puna being cut off by lava, for the feds that just isn't a major problem worth taking on huge liability to try to mitigate. It isn't like Hilo harbor or Kawaihae or Honolulu are being threatened, it is a small poor rural area the feds and state really don't care about. That partly benign neglect is what appeals to a lot of people who live here, the flip side is if the lava heads towards your house you better start packing, because no one is going to do anything about it.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

If you try to divert it it is quite reasonable to question why your house or your cousin's house was deemed more important than anyone else's.

If it is even possible to divert the lava flow, the decision to change it's course would probably not come down to one house over another. It would be to keep it out of densely built areas like Ainaloa & Paradise Park, and sending the flow to a more sparsely populated location south of Maku'u Drive. Of course that opens another debate as that area is Hawaiian Homelands.

As Spock once said, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The update just posted says the K2 flow appears to be dead.

Recent Observations of the Kahaualea 2 flow: It appears that the Kahaualea 2 flow is dead. There was only one stationary glowing spot on a nearby breakout from the Kahaualea 2 flow and little to no smoke from the distal end of that flow yesterday morning before views were cut off by inclement weather. We plan an overflight today to confirm these details and provide more information on the June 27 flow distribution.
They must be up working late. New map out. It shows flow from today- as compared with yesterday. It looks like it might be curving around to go back down hill. I do not know the topography in that area.
quote:
Originally posted by SBH

Simply wishful thinking, figure the odds of that happening are better today than they were a few days ago.

you know.. your wish just might come to pass.. oddly if theres even the remotest change.. it seems that the new vent/flow my have a shot at it.. though I think it's slim.. it's not impossible