Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Fire Ant Treatment
So, I bought a pint of Tango from: Crop Production Services 900 Leilani St. Hilo, HI 96720 (808) 935-7191. They have pints and gallons. The gentleman recommended that after the three month tree treatment I use a product called Siesta. It's like Andro, but covers more area (less expensive) and is more durable in the rain. Finally, he suggests treating the perimeter with Telstar to inhibit re-infestation. Also, Siesta can be placed in home made bait stations as it stays fresh longer.

I'm alergic to LFA stings -- I won't go into the reaction -- ; I use diphenhyaramine HCL(Benedryl) 25 mg and Phenylephrine HCL (Dayquil) 5mg (orally), wash the area thoroughly and apply Benedryl cream, and finally spray with with calamine. I do this immediately after being stung, then sit down in the shade and have a sugary drink. This is a lot I know, but it beats a trip to Dr. Dan.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
I asked my doctor for something to help with the stings and she prescribed triamcinolone acetonide cream. It's like hydrocortisone on steroids (ha- see what I did there?)

It is only moderately effective on the symptoms so I originally didn't give it any credit, but when I stuck with it I eventually realized that it takes a few days off the symptoms. The stings uses to bother me for a week but when I use the cream they go away in about 3 days.

Edited to add, it also works great on mosquito bites. For treating symptoms it works best if you can apply it immediately after getting bit or stung.
Does anyone know if it is okay to use aloe-vera juice directly in the eye of your pet? I have dogs that get an occasional eye bite and i feel so bad i just want to ease their pain. If not aloe then is there anything else recommended?
My vet said there's really nothing you can do for the pet. I wouldn't mess with their eyes. It will run its course and the iris may be blurry.
As long as they can still see it will be OK.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
A question for those who have used the tango gel bait- how long did it take before you noticed a reduction in ants? I know they say three months but I imagine there should be a noticeable reduction sooner than that. Also, the ant lab recommends applying every 4-6 weeks. Would more frequent application be more effective? I applied some of the tango gel bait near some ants in our lanai to see if they were baited to it, and they definitely were at least for several hours. I looked today and they don't seem interested in it anymore. Hopefully that was long enough to feed the queens their first dose of birth control. The instructions from the ant lab did leave some questions unanswered that I emailed them, for example, how long after application do we need to pray that it doesn't rain.
KFA (Facebook- type KFA for #)uses tango and a granular bait combination. Worked fast. I noticed a big reduction over a few days after the first treatment. Now ,1 month later and a week after the second treatment, no sign of ants.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Unfortunately KFA is going against the science recommended by the ant lab:

A single treatment will not necessarily
provide good results. Re-treat every 4-6
weeks in summer and 6-8 weeks in
winter. Remember, it will take 2-3
months before you will notice a reduction
in ant activity. Although it is tempting to
help things along by also using other
chemical sprays, this does far more harm
than good! We need the worker ants to
keep on harvesting the gel baits and
feeding the other ants in the colony. At
this time, they are your friends and are
actually helping you to control the
problem.

I've used Amdro with success at killing the workers, but I'm trying the Tango at attempting the closest to eradication I can expect to get- sterilizing the queens. Maybe experience will tell us that using both types of killers are best, but for now I'm looking for a long term solution, none of the short term ones have been very satisfactory.

Edited for SCIENCE.
I have been using Siesta and Telsta (?spelling).
Does anyone know if you can get results using these 2 products without using Tango?
I have heard that the ants can recognize Amdro after a while and will not eat it.
Can the ants also recognize Telsta and Siesta?

Couldn't you just use Telsta and create blocks around the areas?

Or is the answer to long term control only Tango?

quote:
Originally posted by Karma96749

I have been using Siesta and Telsta (?spelling).
Does anyone know if you can get results using these 2 products without using Tango?
I have heard that the ants can recognize Amdro after a while and will not eat it.
Can the ants also recognize Telsta and Siesta?

Couldn't you just use Telsta and create blocks around the areas?

Or is the answer to long term control only Tango?

Kind of an apples / oranges thing. Tango doesn't kill ants- it is a growth inhibitor which prevents eggs from hatching and pupae from becoming ants. It is basically ant birth control It is effective because during the treatment period the worker ants continue to bring more and more Tango bait to the colony. Eventually the workers and queens die of old age or other natural causes, hence it takes about 3 months to see it work. Insecticides kill ants, but it doesn't stop the eggs from hatching or all the pupae from growing up, so it is a temporary solution. LFA have thousands of queens so if you kill all the laying queens her prodigy and clones will soon be hatching. Using baits is necessary because its impossible to "tent" your entire property. Just putting poison or poison bait on the ground only kills a few ants and only temporarily.
Because I'm a bit allergic to LFA stings, I'd be the first to say how awful the pest is. It's the farmer's, however, that really have a vested interest in getting rid of them. A friend who grows bananas commercially told me his tale of woe. The LFA "stings" the fruit causing a blemish. The actual fruit is unharmed, but it's marketability is severely damaged. My friend eventually unloaded his crop at a net loss. He steered me to both the USDA and CPS. I haven't actually begun my treatment yet, because I'm waiting for a dry spell. They seem to swarm in the spring and early summer, so I'll begin my attack in early winter and hopefully have them under control before they start to swarm again. I'll follow the USDA/CPS instructions to the letter as I tend to believe in science and don't wish to mess up the balance of my environment.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia