Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People of Leilani ordered tested ? - PGV
One of the people overcome by the gas complained of not being able to get a full breath. This is interesting considering the following regarding sulphur dioxide inhalation.
" Biochemical and biomedical roles

Sulfur dioxide is toxic in large amounts. It or its conjugate base bisulfite is produced biologically as an intermediate in both sulfate-reducing organisms and in sulfur-oxidizing bacteria, as well. The role of sulfur dioxide in mammalian biology is not yet well understood. [19] Sulfur dioxide blocks nerve signals from the pulmonary stretch receptors and abolishes the Hering–Breuer inflation reflex."
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_dioxide
And what the hering-breuer inflation reflex is described in the below link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hering%E2%8...uer_reflex
[quote]Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

One of the people overcome by the gas complained of not being able to get a full breath. This is interesting considering the following regarding sulphur dioxide inhalation.
" Biochemical and biomedical roles

Sulfur dioxide is toxic in large amounts. It or its conjugate base bisulfite is produced biologically as an intermediate in both sulfate-reducing organisms and in sulfur-oxidizing bacteria, as well. The role of sulfur dioxide in mammalian biology is not yet well understood. [19] Sulfur dioxide blocks nerve signals from the pulmonary stretch receptors and abolishes the Hering–Breuer inflation reflex."

This is unfortunately typical of the complete nonsense that is being peddled here... What, in any way, does sulfur dioxide have to do with the discussion? The steam released by PGV didn't, doesn't, won't contain sulfur dioxide - pretty much ever. The completely bogus claims made on the occupy Hawaii videos are, in fact, more consistent with sulfur dioxide exposure - but the sulfur gas present in PGV steam is hydrogen sulfide - completely different compound, completely different physiological action, completely different symptoms of exposure. Just another exercise in eco-extortion. "Oh, I feel sick, please deposit cash here..."

Geochem... stop making an ass of yourself. Hydrogen sulphide becomes sulphur dioxide in the atmosphere but you would have known that had you any credibility in your handle. Look it up and stop pretending to know about something you clearly haven't even taken the time to read about, let alone have any sort of knowledge about. Its a FACT.
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

Geochem... stop making an ass of yourself. Hydrogen sulphide becomes sulphur dioxide in the atmosphere but you would have known that had you any credibility in your handle. Look it up and stop pretending to know about something you clearly haven't even taken the time to read about, let alone have any sort of knowledge about. Its a FACT.

Um, your comment is being made to a scientist who has facts, and has more experience in geothermal than most of us put together. Now, I would suggest geochem is not the one who is making ass.

Frankly, your verve, in not only this topic, needs tempering.

JMO.

A little research reveals that you have to burn hydrogen sulfide with oxygen (produce a blue flame) in order to produce sulphur dioxide. Not what happened at PGV so sulfur dioxide is irrelevant here.
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

If you had bothered to gain even a little knowledge of the chemistry of hydrogen sulfide you would know that that conversion takes hours to days - so, given the wind speeds at the time the plant tripped, by the time whatever hydrogen sulfide discharged by PGV was converted to sulfur dioxide, I would reckon that it would be somewhere off South Point. No FACT, just more fertilizer.
Geochem,
You appear to be hung upon and befuddled by my comments regarding so2. If you note further back in the thread I was questioning the actual confinement of the well pressure within the system as it is partly reliant upon the rock structure itself at the actual well cavity region. Any pressure within such a cavity is subject to any faults located within the cavity and therefore would act as an escape route for some of the pressure within the cavity. Such a breach, minor or major could possibly induce more rapid expulsion of SO2 from within the surrounding geological structure. Since naturally occurring h2s is subject to so2 and extreme heat the volcanic conditions naturally breakdown both gasses to a great magnitude when not exposed to rapid expulsion conditions. When the plant undergoes an emergency release of pressure its at that time the well cavity pressure is greatest and any natural faults within the cavity then could become a greater source of rapid expulsion for surrounding SO2 pockets. My initial entry on the So2 matter revolves around the plausibility of such a scenario. To outright assume there are no natural fractures in the structure 'bout the well cavity and no pressure from the well cavity is influencing the surrounding natural volcanic events is foolish at minimum. Furthermore this assumption that I have not taken into account H2S is a misconception. Of the two gasses H2S is the more dangerous because of the necessity for it to be at relatively hazardous levels before noticing its odor. So2 on the other hand is for more noticeable at lower concentrations. So my curiosity is in the reports of the smell accompanied by the possibility of naturally tied in fractures to the well cavity. I would appreciate for moment that you got off your assumption horse and put that big brain of yours into possible explanations for the victims claims other than assuming they are all stupid ignorant people just trying to manipulate the system.
Blah blah blah. Meanwhile not one single medically verified case of geothermal poisoning as a result of the storm related shutdown.
Started a new thread for this but since it is relevant to our discussion I have posted it in this thread as well - maybe any comments would be better in the new thread?

http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/storage/depa...652683.pdf

So this SOE was declared August 7, the day after the hurricane.

Mayor's Proclamation From August 7, 2014

State of Emergency exists on the Hawaii Island, Effective 6:00 AM Thursday, 08/07/2014 and continuing thereon for 60 days or until further act.

State of Emergency exists on the Hawaii Island, Effective 6:00 AM Thursday, 08/07/2014 and continuing thereon for 60 days or until further act.

http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts/

I posted this link as I found it and what you will notice is that the
SOE is mentioned twice in a row of an otherwise chronological order.
What this means to me is that their had been a previous post most likely an UNABRIDGED warning about PGV and the release of dangerous gases that had occurred on the night of Aug 6, has been deleted. (better check that link now!)

As well we are still under that SOE, meaning normal Hawaii state laws instituted by elected officials are in suspension (not saying that "normal" laws are not being adhered to).
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Blah blah blah. Meanwhile not one single medically verified case of geothermal poisoning as a result of the storm related shutdown.

You don't live here so the impact of this event is remote to you and as a result your inclination to "trash talk" seems unqualified at best.