Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?
before going into irrational hysterics in regard to ebola mutating, see sections "Do you have any sense that airborne transmission may be possible for Ebola?" & "What exactly does direct contact mean?".

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/20...l-too-well

"No, I don't think airborne transmission is going on. "

"But it's not an easily transmitted disease; it's something that has to have that direct contact."

"I can't think of any example of mutations that have fundamentally changed the biology of a [virus] so it's transmitted through a different mechanism than would be its norm, and so there are mutations that would make something a little bit more transmissible or less transmissible, but not necessarily changing its complete mode of transmission. So I don't think that there's airborne transmission of this virus, not in terms of the true aerosolized virus sense."
Wow. Nothing like a bit of light reading to lessen the stress of lava watching. (and waiting)
I too am concerned about Ebola.
There are so many unknowns, and we are a tourist destination.

Viruses are the most adaptive little critters I can think of. They're real survivors. They mutate and replicate millions of times a day. Hepatitis (another nasty little virus) has been found alive after weeks on surfaces. (like a table top somebody bled on) That's why blood spills (and other bodily fluids) are considered "Biohazard" by medical professionals, and cleaned up efficiently and according to strict specifications.

HIV and SOME forms of Hep. are transmitted sexually also, but the risk rises if there's blood mixed in those fluids for any reason.

Unlike HIV and Hepatitis, Ebola does not require blood exposure. From what I'm gathering ALL bodily fluids are infected. That means tears and sweat. I know there would be a lot of both if I were infected. (HIV and Hep. are NOT transmitted through these fluids unless there is blood in them) SO, if you shake somebody's sweaty hand, or hug somebody who's sweating...well, you see where I'm going.

If Doctors are getting it (and they are. Several have already died) it appears to be pretty easy to get, but only time will tell.

I have no doubt the CDC is working fervently trying to figure out how the most recent Doc. got it. He knows how to protect himself. I'm really curious about how HE thinks he was exposed.

That guy in Texas lied on his exit interview at the airport(in whatever country he came from) and said he didn't have any family members with Ebola. He had taken a relative to the hospital days before with Ebola. His country now says they hope he gets better, and they will be arresting him if he lives. I think he knew he'd been exposed, but might have thought he'd get better care here in the good ole USA. So far, our medical system has been able to bring all our people through the infection, if they're just HERE.

I don't think a simple mask would do much protecting. Virus's are REALLY small. Isolation and special protective clothing are required. Don't run out to Longs and buy paper masks. Waste of $.

So, what's the answer? Like everything else going on in Puna, we wait and see. (It's getting easier with practice isn't it?)
Keep the Faith!
I forgot to say, direct contact is one person touching another, directly vs. airborne for example.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"[i]
I can't think of any example of mutations that have fundamentally changed the biology of a [virus] so it's transmitted through a different mechanism than would be its norm, and so there are mutations that would make something a little bit more transmissible or less transmissible, but not necessarily changing its complete mode of transmission. So I don't think that there's airborne transmission of this virus, not in terms of the true aerosolized virus sense."

oh great, just saw this editor's note on the bottom of the column ...best stock up on food, water and ammo!

"Editor's note: An earlier version of this story included the quote: "I can't think of any example of mutations that have fundamentally changed the biology of a pathogen so it's transmitted through a different mechanism than would be its norm." A reader contacted us to note that Yersinia pestis, which caused the plague, did in fact change its transmission from food-and-water-borne routes to bites from blood-feeding fleas. We have amended the text, inserting "virus" in brackets in place of "pathogen."
To be honest with you guys, I think a ban to the US should be implemented for now.
Particularly those countries in Africa, that are experiencing the outbreak. Common sense, not being racist, just cautious.
Nothing to do with your skin color, but the potential to bring such a virus, which could turn airborne, at any time, into the US.
How ignorant we are to believe that people seeking a better healthcare, would not lie filling out a form. That's all they are doing. And as long as customs, and immigration check the boxes OK, then you are in...
I have been and out of this country so many times, it is really easy to bring in Anything you want..

punalvr
punalvr
Most of the doctors who have been infected with ebola were wearing those medical spacesuits that get saturated with disinfectant before they are allowed to take them off.

Still believe that it can only be spread by direct contact with infected bodily fluids?
quote:

quote:

"[i]
I can't think of any example of mutations that have fundamentally changed the biology of a [virus] so it's transmitted through a different mechanism than would be its norm, and so there are mutations that would make something a little bit more transmissible or less transmissible, but not necessarily changing its complete mode of transmission. So I don't think that there's airborne transmission of this virus, not in terms of the true aerosolized virus sense."

oh great, just saw this editor's note on the bottom of the column ...best stock up on food, water and ammo!

"Editor's note: An earlier version of this story included the quote: "I can't think of any example of mutations that have fundamentally changed the biology of a pathogen so it's transmitted through a different mechanism than would be its norm." A reader contacted us to note that Yersinia pestis, which caused the plague, did in fact change its transmission from food-and-water-borne routes to bites from blood-feeding fleas. We have amended the text, inserting "virus" in brackets in place of "pathogen."

And curiously coincidental:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...borne.html
UN warns Ebola virus currently plaguing West Africa could become airborne

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Do you guys remember when they were worried that Bird Flu would become airborne? I do..
That's what I meant by "virus's mutate and replicate" every day.
Anything's possible.

I think isolation before entering the US is a good idea too. Better safe than sorry.
Disease sucks.
I read that one strain of Ebola can be aerosolized airborne, but thankfully it's only transmissible from one monkey to another, not to humans. At least for now.

I'm far from knowledgable about virus science, but if one strain of a virus can adapt in that way, I don't see why either the ones humans now catch could adapt into airborne, or the airborne one could decide to work with humans.

Point is, the virus has already evolved and made such leaps, so why not again?
I'm all for not panicking, and I am not panicking, BUT I want the powers that be to not act complacently in any fashion.

Agree with prior posts that self-reporting origin or exposure cannot be trusted.

And I think it is reasonable to think this man in Texas came here wanting treatment. Come on, he never got on a plane before in his life, according to CNN. Now he suddenly needs to visit family?

He goes to the hospital quickly and discloses his point of origin, enough to trigger an isolation, then when sent home his son calls to say he needs more attention. He knew. And now children may have been exposed.

People are not honest with such stakes. Develop a protocol that assumes dishonesty and is designed to catch cases when the Ebola exposed person does nothing to help or disclose, or even hides tracks. People are going to get on planes and come here to get treatment if they can.

Maybe US should use resources to set up treatment centers with US standards at entry points, and state that is the only point where you get treatment, if you turn yourself over before you are in our population. Whatever the cost, the cost of an epidemic here is astronomically higher.

Kathy
This Scientific American article I just read was useful in helping my ignorance of what it takes to mutate.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...-airborne/

Somewhat reassuring.

And here's a non-alarmist article on the 2012 study where the deadly Zaire strain of Ebola virus passed from pigs to monkeys in separate cages.
http://healthmap.org/site/diseasedaily/a...rne-112112

That was not the Reston strain, the one they think was airborne from monkey to monkey, which was the subject of "The Hot Zone."

Kathy