Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...-t-planned

Clipped from above:

"A recording of the groundbreaking showed him berating attendees for walking past the protest, saying they “slithered in like slimy snakes.” He also called them infidels."

Can we now expect "beheadings" in the name of some fake, made up "god?"

^^^^^HA-OLE^^^^^. Affirmed and confirmed. Beheadings. My goodness. How ridiculous can folks be?

Still SMDH. [Sad]
Seriously, DT, you will never know the "truth" on this matter. Let it go. Baiting is what you're doing. Let us have our beliefs, and you can have yours. Continuing your disdain for our culture is not productive. You don't believe in what we believe in. Got it.

Just so you know, the protestors were told "the guests" wanted to go to the bathroom. Some went to the bathroom, but used the excuse to walk up to the blessing area. This was perceived as deceitful to the protestors. There is the truth on this particular issue. That is what riled up that young man who called them "snakes". Poor form for him, absolutely. Disgraceful, absolutely. He's young and was angry at being "deceived again" by ka po'e haole. He was wrong for using such language. No question.

However, the words you choose are biting, and completely disrespectful to our Akua, Kupuna, and all of us kanaka maoli. I hope you find some sense of peace and solace in this life, especially if you indeed live here on our Moku O Keawe. Kepalo is the only being who feeds off of your kind of disdain for our people and our culture. SMDH.

The project will move forward with a lot of controversy and legal wrangling in the process.

The end. Pau.

JMO.

ETA: SMDH, too. Un-freaking-believable. [Sad!]

Sorry. In today's world using the term "infidels" proves beyond any doubt a complete lack of understanding anything.

Especially anything Hawaiian.

quote:
Originally posted by 2liveque

Some of you posters are very HA-OLE. No breath. So quick to marginalize culture by branding these "activist" the way you do. HA-OLE. No "good" breath. Good and full of aloha on the outside, but ethnocentric and bigoted on the inside. In Hawaii, your insides matter, and forums like these certainly prove that the insides of some of you posters are are not pili with how the rivers flow in Hawaii.

Mauna a Wakea is not the first protest. As a matter of fact, 32,000 kupuna signed the Ku'e petition many generations back. So you can try to deconstruct the happenings of yesterday and brand folks as you may. But we Kanaka have been protesting such occurrences for years. And sadly, we have always been on the short end of the stick. We will keep protesting because in all reality, we have been subjugated to have no other directions.

The HA-OLE, will never see it through our lens. The HA-Ole will always vilify and reduce us. The HA-OLE will make senseless connections to Mauna Kea and "the great Hawaiian astronomers of the past." The HA-OLE will reduce our efforts to we being against everything, when in all reality, we are not. But for AINA, we will keep protesting. And for the record, the HA-OlE is not just white people. It also encompasses the beneficiaries of white money and rule. Such is the TMT. So don't be so defensive when hearing HA-OLE. Most of Hawaii's plantation-descendent AJA's are HA-OLE. Especially many of the politicians. There are many Hawaiians too who are HA-OLE too.

Remember, we don't protest to just protest. Study the issues. Learn the history. Then you won't be so quick to discredit our mission....or maybe you still will. People will be people. HA-OLE will be HA-OLE, regardless. This is the world we function in.

No can. SMDH.

You are an idiot if you take anything from a forum as judgment of character.

Also, I am glad to know that most of the younger generations I meet here aren't bigots like you.

You say don't be offended when you hear a term, yet you adhere negative traits to the same word in the same paragraph.

One can only hope people who think so one dimensional don't have much time left on this earth, because your bigotry doesn't serve purpose to anyone.

Its racism, no matter how you slice it, and there is no place for it in todays society.

Good day sir.
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao

However, the words you choose are biting, and completely disrespectful to our Akua, Kupuna, and all of us kanaka maoli.

Native Hawaiians called Native Hawaiians "slimy snakes" and "infidels"

And you wish to discuss respect?

Sometime it's both surprising and disappointing when true co!ors are revealed.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Hmmm. I just let some members back in and suddenly I'm thinking of vacationing some others...... why do some people feel the need to be so quick trigger judgmental?

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
My apologies, Mr. Tucker, and all, for my part in this discussion.

I should have ignored the continued mocking of our teachings, beliefs, and culture. "Fake" was offensive (not to mention the "beheading" comment), however, my fault for responding to it. Nerves are wearing thin with all that is going on.

Again, my sincere apologies. JMO.
ophikao: I think you responded appropriately to a rather vile and inappropriate comment.

2Liveque: I’ll take you seriously and I guess some of what you’re saying is that Mauna Kea’s peak, at least, is sacrosanct and the feeling of you and the people who agree with you is that no observatories (or any buildings at all?) is the only option. Any building is desecration. I don’t agree with this Manichean position, but perhaps this is your point. Actually I am surprised most Hawaiians with connections to kanaka maoli don’t see the TMT and other observatories as honoring the Hawaiian past.

"The HA-OLE will make senseless connections to Mauna Kea and "the great Hawaiian astronomers of the past.””

Here’s where I don’t see your point. I think there are actually deep connections between Mauna Kea, the “great Hawaiian astronomers of the past” and the TMT project or, for that matter, the other amazing astronomy installations on Mauna Kea.

The Hawaiians of the past and their ancestors were great astronomers! Given their tools and understanding of the universe they performed great feats of long ocean voyages. Thousands of years of westward migration by sea culminated in many epic voyages from the South Pacific to Hawai’i, Rapa Nui and probably South America. On land, the moon calendar was consulted for day to day tasks. Many constellations and individual stars were named.

Today's observatories are the modern and natural extensions of the capabilities of the Hawaiians “of the past.” They honor the Hawaiian culture of observation of the celestial skies. Astronomy is supported by science which is generally neutral in issues of culture and religion, though science does not provide support for the latter. Observatories do take up some of the ‘aina on Mauna Kea, but they are generally elegant structures with literally “out of this world” capabilities. They provide some of the best high tech jobs on the island and will encourage our brightest keiki make their homes here. There is a direct connection with UH Hilo. Education brings wealth of many kinds to our island. And of course all those jobs directly and indirectly support many more jobs so wealth is shared.

There seems to be great connections between the Hawaiian past and the scientific present being developed on Mauna Kea. At the very least, “sensible” connections.