Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishin'
Speaking of fish found this and thought I'd bring this thread forward. No activity and surely some of you fishers have some news to share eh?

humuhumunukunukuâpua`a
[hoo moo hoo moo noo koo noo koo AH' poo (w)ah ah]
reef trigger fish
A "supercalifragilisticexpialido-cious" kind of word.

I think this fish is for fun and not for eating, just viewing, is this so?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
humuhumunukunukuâpua`a

isn't this the state fish?

It is, also known as the Picasso triggerfish. Not good for eating and, speaking as someone who has a large salt-water aquarium, not good in captivity unless you have a HUGE (like SeaWorld-sized) aquarium. I haven't tried to catch one, but my research shows that they are best admired in the wild. I'd hate to catch one and kill it in my aquarium.

John Dirgo, RA, ABR, e-PRO
Island Trust Properties, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
Triggers are eaten, though not much in the first world. Which is to say that you'll likely see someone with one on a spear here. I've eaten them in the Carribean, they like most reef fish are a white flakey meat. They can harbour cigaterra a disease that often concentrates toxins in marine (specifically reef fish) fish around the world. That's why one should never eat barracuda which feed largely off of reef fish. Cigaterra was almost responsible for killing off the relocated Bikinians when our gov't moved them off of the Bikini Atoll to test the H-bomb and sink the captured japanese fleet in 1954. There are alos several reef fish species that can be poisononous.

Triggers are among the smartest of fish, exhibiting creative problem solving behaviors which makes them escpecially problematic for aquariums. They tend to try to eat everything and anything place in the tanks. Often they destroy any other inhabitants and any decorations placed in the display. They are one of the few fish species that eats sea urchins. They pick them up with their bony fused jaw (like a beak) and drop them upside-down exposing their soft undersides. They also squirt a jet of water out of their mouth overturning organisms to expose their more vulnerable sides. They often pick at other fish, and can deliver a nasty bite to fishkeepers. They use their anal and dorsal fins to move about like helicopters moving forward and backwards with ease. They have large capable eyes and thick protective scales which make them hard to spear or bite. Their most famous aspect is their "trigger" which is actually a pen sized dorsal ray (bone on top of the fish in the fin) which they raise and can lock into position. This allows the fish to dive into a hole, raise its's spine, lock it into position and thus become nearly impossible to remove, much like a barb on an arrow or a hook. They also possess and ability to rotate a bone in their rear which makes them look bigger or can help to lock them into a crevice. Children growing up in the tropics often learn how to dive for these fish and massage them into releasing their hold.

So, there you go all you ever wanted to know about triggerfish.

Thank you Hazen. Did that come from your disertation? LOL, Quite informative really and I appreciate the insight and promise never to fish for a trigger!

I also wanted to bring this forward thinking some of the guys talking fishing had some new hints for us. You know their new favorite spots, bait ect. MMMinica must have done some fishing and have some fun to share also!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
There are actually 2 fish that share the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a name, the more common Picasso (Rhinecanthus rectagulus) & the Lagoon (Rhinecanthus aculeatus) triggerfish. I do know that there was a lot of press this spring, as the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a was NOT the actual state fish, it had only a temp title that had expired some years ago. I think that it was reinstated, but am not positive....?
As Hazen pointed out they are eaten (with caution as to dinophyte toxins) throughout their range, & are a flaky white fish, mostly non-discript flavor. They are one of the few fish that can feed upon sea urchins, and their uniquely angled & plate armored face allows them to avoid being impaled on a spine. Their beaks are incredibly strong, much like a pair of needle nosed pliers (This is first hand knowlege from a needle nosed sized chunk of ear I lost to a captive one.....).
Mella, Most intro level Marine Bio books at least touch on the triggerfish, as they do have a unique diet & swimming technique... A good reference for Hawaii fish is John Hoovers "Hawai'i's Fish, A guide for snorkelers divers and aqaurists" Mutual Pub, 1993, ISBN 1-56647-001-3. This is the ID book UH Marine Sci students use, and new & used copies are usually available at the UH Bookstore, new are at most local book stores...a good companion book is Hoovers "Hawai'i's Sea Creatures, A guide to Hawai'i's Marine Invertebrates" ISBN 1-56647-220-2 (same availability info) There are also some good web sourses for picture ids, including the UH-H Marine Sci web link page: http://www.kmec.uhh.hawaii.edu/quest.htm\
Enjoy the fishes!
Aloha, Carey

Check out this page for a great reference for identifying tropical fish

http://www.marinelifephotography.com/fishes/fishes.htm

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
jm minica was talking about fishing in Kapoho. I'm gonna be there in Sept. We're renting a place on the south side of the bay. Any tips on getting a line wet there?

personally I use to be an avid fisherman. Having grown up on Maui on the westside I use to know all the good holes on that side. But one year while spear fishing with my neighbor he caught a good size turtle. Now I have never caught a Turtle myself, but have had Turtle to eat on several occasions. It actually taste pretty awesome. But on this particular day my neighbor, Nelson had speared a good size Turtle. Upon getting the Turtle home my neighbor starting cutting the Turtle along to under belly of it's shell. It had survived the intial impact of the 'Hawaiian Sling'. It's flippers were flapping as Nelson was cutting it. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the Turtle was 'crying',actual tears!!!! You people don't know how bad that f***ed me up emotionally seeing that Turtle cry. I immeadiately stopped fishing, and to this day have not resumed fishing either. I no longer eat Turtle when it's offered to me. Just in the past 10 years have I started to eat fish again.

As much as I use to enjoy fishing, seeing that Turtle cry really did a number on me..

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Thank you Beachboy for your graphic explanation of the turtle tears. I will never forget that story. I didn't know this but always suspected it, for all creatures great and small.

Aren't turtles protected?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA