Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broadband, anyone?
Susan, before I moved to HPP I had DSL on Laniuma and 38th. I got it last January. When I saw they upgraded service in Orchidlands in September, I told a friend who got it on 37th half way between Laniuma and Orchidlands Drive. Neither address showed up on the web site. We had to call.
One of the frustrating things was that for 3.5 years when I would check the web site which said "address not found" instead of something useful, I would call the number and ask, and they would tell me that service was unavailable. When I asked, how I could enter my address into their web site to regurgitate something useful (service unavailable) rather than something not useful (address not found)? Their answer was that THEY WERE USING THE SAME WEB SITE I WAS. Lies. Outright lies.
I just had an awesome experience with Hawaiian Telcomm (versus the non productive call my husband had the other day.) They were able to locate my address in the system but there was a zero in the address that didn't need to be there. I pointed them to my parcel number on the Hawaii Co. Tax site where they could verify the address sans the zero.

Long story short the technician is coming out on Jan 7th to install a land line and DSL! I didnt haggle when they assigned me a bundled plan. Said there was only one available for my address.

I told them they were installing in a non wired studio dwelling. I did not tell them it was 350 ft back from the new 6" pole and it's the only pole. This makes me nervous.
What kind of Punatic rigging is this going to require?

I am very pleased with the young man who provided superior assistance. Great customer service,
quote:
Originally posted by Big_Island

Yes, I'm on 40th and have DSL also.

What part of 40th? On the Highway 11 side or the 130 side?
quote:
Originally posted by Susan

I just had an awesome experience with Hawaiian Telcomm (versus the non productive call my husband had the other day.) They were able to locate my address in the system but there was a zero in the address that didn't need to be there. I pointed them to my parcel number on the Hawaii Co. Tax site where they could verify the address sans the zero.

Long story short the technician is coming out on Jan 7th to install a land line and DSL! I didnt haggle when they assigned me a bundled plan. Said there was only one available for my address.

I told them they were installing in a non wired studio dwelling. I did not tell them it was 350 ft back from the new 6" pole and it's the only pole. This makes me nervous.
What kind of Punatic rigging is this going to require?

I am very pleased with the young man who provided superior assistance. Great customer service,

As far as I know, they will only hook up within 50' of the pole. I'm interested in how it turns out for you, please keep us updated!
quote:
Originally posted by Susan

Today we DiD get a 6" 24ft pole installed. This was a good contractor experience. Showed up when he said he would. Did the job as stated. Communicated with us via phone, text and photos. Didn't ask for anything up front. I am paying him promptly tomorrow.

I am very pleased with the young man who provided superior assistance.

Since good help is always hard to find, could you provide us with some more info on your mystery man? Mahalo and congratulations on the smooth sailing!
Jimmy E. Enoka - Papa'ikou, did the 6" galvanized pole installation 964-5211

Ivan was the technician's name at Hawaii Telcom who provided the excellent service.

Edited to add - Now we know DSL is available in Orchidland on Auli'i St.[Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

quote:
Originally posted by Big_Island

Yes, I'm on 40th and have DSL also.

What part of 40th? On the Highway 11 side or the 130 side?

I'm about 9 poles from Orchidland Drive
They put up a cable line on my street last year and I called them yesterday and ordered an internet connection. I have had a DSL line for several years but it is regularly too slow for streaming or even loading some busy web pages. Just tested and it's 3.48 and .43 here in Leilani. Cable about the same cost except for getting a new modem so worth a try. I keep thinking that there is some perfect blend of phone, cable, and satellite to provide TV, internet, and landline phone service.

Jay
Jay
Susan I am glad that you have something that will work for you. I have been worried about having decent reliable access. BUT, I am not sure what DSL will allow. I remember having DSL about 15 years ago and the internet demands have changed so much since then. I noticed that in Hilo service is advertised between 200MBS and 50MBS. And, now according to FCC broadband is at least 25 MBS. Can one really work from home with DSL? Suggestions on where in Puna to get at least minimum broadband?