Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoH takes care of it's burglars
We need three strikes in this state.
"I can't tell if this is "jailed more offenders" or "more offenders learning while in jail"."

Right. Likely some degree of both within a tangle of intertwining factors. One thing is certain, merely putting faith in simplistic Dirty Harry type scenarios as a response is pretty much just emotional indulgence in macho fantasy. The reactionary 'lock em up and throw away the key' approach as the primary solution has been tried and has failed on a large scale, resulting in the largest prison population per capita on Earth and not much to show for it. At any rate, certainly not an easy issue to sort out.

Bringing it back to Hawaii specifically, according to the Department of Justice, Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics link above, property crime in Hawaii as a whole has steadily fallen between 2002 and the most recent year in which statistics are given, 2012. With a few ups and downs, property crime rates have generally fallen from a high of 7,182.8 per 100,000 in 1980 to a low of 3,075.2 in 2012.

When the time comes I would be curious about statistics for Hawaii County 2015 to see if there has been a spike and, if so, by how much.

I kinda wonder how COH stacks up with the other counties...
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Likewise
"Hawaii County’s total Index Crime rate increased 10.3% in 2012. Hawaii County’s violent crime rate decreased 15.2%, while the property crime rate increased 12.9%. Hawaii County’s total Index, violent, and property crime rates in 2012 were the lowest in the State of Hawaii."

http://ag.hawaii.gov/cpja/crime-in-hawaii-2012-annual/
I haven't read this thread until today and honestly I only did a superficial skim. Did I miss something? I didn't see a single post related to the second amendment.
" I didn't see a single post related to the second amendment."

Are you referring to the right to wear short sleeve shirts?
Hawaii's interpretation of the second amendment implies... You have the right to own guns... you just can't use them.

...Except to shoot anything but the endangered hairless ape... ( last check there was only 7.3 billion left in the wild.)

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
The sentencing report that the judge sees is confidential. The judges sees it and is required to take it into consideration when she decides on the sentence. They often have a lot of appalling information about how the defendant was raised/abused, etc. It is very difficult to second guess the judge when they make these decisions. It is not an easy job. The judges don't like to let criminals free, but they have to take all the circumstances into consideration. First offense, no gun, no injury leaves the judge with a lot of room to think that the defendant would only get worse in prison.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
PunaMauka2 and Obie, thanks for providing such factual information to help the discussion! It really improves the quality of the discourse.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L