Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIDEO: Puna Traffic Tension Boils Over At Meeting
It is local lore that the short bridge over the marina entrance in Hilo took longer to build than the Golden Gate Bridge in S.F.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
When the crowd was asked to raise their hands if they had ever used a roundabout before, well over half replied in the affirmative.
... Most of them already know what to do, don't they?

The half who raised their hands aren't the half I'm worried about.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Just came back from my first Hilo trip in 3 weeks. Doing the 2 merges in Keaau, first by the Humane society and the second somewhere near Shower, on both occasions I had to deal with other drivers racing up to pass me at the very end. I had 2 choices: brake hard or collide.

Merging lanes are not a competitive sport for barbarians. They are a civilized way for courteous commuters to efficiently reach their respective destinations.

I think there needs to be a big billboard on either side of the roundabout with photos of Uncle Robert, Jesus and Buddha reminding and prodding our population along to respectful driving habits.
I had 2 choices: brake hard or collide.

Third option: stay in the merge lane but keep pace with the rest of traffic.

Yes, I've had someone try to pass on the shoulder when I do this...
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

It is local lore that the short bridge over the marina entrance in Hilo took longer to build than the Golden Gate Bridge in S.F.

Yup, I have heard that one and looked it up once, it is true. It's just looking like the Kea'au-Pahoa Bypass Project may take 20 years to completion at the current rate. Still wondering what the state is going to do after finding out federal funds are heading to expiration.

http://cqrcengage.com/napa/app/document/....undefined
Federal highway funding: Use it or lose it

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
what the state is going to do after finding out federal funds are heading to expiration.

State is already discussing a tax increase to cover "transportation projects".
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Pahoated, who sometimes calls "malahini meltdown" on those of us who label the state and local government as utterly inept, is now criticizing the way they handle highway funding?
Maybe he's finally coming out of his grouchy mood. Far stranger things have happened.
Pahoated... is now criticizing the way they handle highway funding?

Maybe he had to get up from behind his computer, drive to Hilo, and realized, "hey, we could use some mainland California style roads around here so's I can get home before these sushi rolls go bad."

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Well, Ted HAS already stated he goes both ways.

p.out