Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poof
resentment of those who work for the scientific ventures such as the telescopes, and earn a good living in contrast to lives that have less hope and success

Instead of resenting & protesting, they could also try:

1) Graduating high school
2) Graduate college
3) Pursue and complete Masters degree, and/or PhD

Note increase in job availability, job satisfaction, hope, and success. Note decrease in resentment.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/state-wi...t-property

According to a county spokeswoman, the most recent trespass complaints at the resort were reported to the Kauai Police Department on March 11 and Feb. 11.

Prosecuting Attorney Justin Kollar said his office is working with police to monitor the situation.

Reported complaints? Check.

Still occupied? Check.

Situation being "monitored"? Check.

$175 million renovation that is expected to start this spring ... have been trying to restore Coco Palms since 2012.

"Protecting" us from jobs and economic investment? Check.
HOTPE, The TMT project was going to give Hawaii Island a giant Zit on Mauna Kea until the next century. The Canadians were going to get hundreds of high-tech well paying jobs and hawaii was going to get some of the construction jobs, not all. Mauna Kea IS the astronomy capital of the world and UHH is not comparable to Cal Berkley. Not even sure that 50% graduate or can get their master's or Phd's at UHH in Hilo.

https://www.desmog.ca/2014/04/09/six-sho...foundation
So your argument is that since UHH is not a world class institution, then all progress on this island should halt?
KJ, one of my arguments is that UHH or another Hawaii university should have already been a world class institution if they wanted to make Mauna Kea the astronomy capital of the world and home of the TMT project.

Also, if the state wants to have Puna the home of Geothermal power plants to help power the island, TMT or the state. Then they should build a large hospital close to Pahoa and have open health studies for comparable "DATA" before harvesting "PELE's Gift's". jmo's
"KJ, one of my arguments is that UHH or another Hawaii university should have already been a world class institution if they wanted to make Mauna Kea the astronomy capital of the world and home of the TMT project."

The Institute for Astronomy (IfA) at UH Manoa, a Hawaii university, is a world-class institution. It employs some of the best astronomers and students in the world. However, I will admit, that in my opinion, it is very poorly run.
TomK, U.H Manoa is not located on the Big Island and they are mostly storing Data for you foreign astronomers rather than producing local talent in astronomy to work here at home.

How many local or Hawaiian Astronomers do you work with on Mauna Kea or that you know?

Can you count the local astronomers on one hand?

How many years has astronomy been taking place on Mauna Kea?

If you wanted to build a TMT project here on Mauna Kea would you widen the exsisting roads to the project? Or make sure you had adequate amounts of resources like electricity and Water on hand to operate the project? Please Don't expect to come here to the Big Island and use up our next generations limited resources without providing them insurance of ways to make a living for their Ohana's in the future. jmo
"TomK, U.H Manoa is not located on the Big Island and they are mostly storing Data for you foreign astronomers rather than producing local talent in astronomy to work here at home."

You said "another Hawaii university". UH Manoa is in Hawaii. And no, they don't store data for us. That's made-up nonsense.

"If you wanted to build a TMT project here on Mauna Kea would you widen the exsisting roads to the project? Or make sure you had adequate amounts of resources like electricity and Water on hand to operate the project?"

There are no plans to widen any roads or increase electricity or water usage. As usual, you are posting porkies.
PS. Before Gypsy realized he'd been fooled, he wrote in the Costco April Fool's thread regarding Costco opening in Hilo:

"It's about time but This may spell the end of cost-u-less in Hilo."

I'm curious why a Costco in Hilo raises no concern about electricity and water usage, despite the fact that everyone here would have to pay for it, nor any suggestion that the state should pay for a hospital close to Pahoa. On the other hand, a telescope on Mauna Kea, which would use much less power and water, and would be paid for from elsewhere, causes concern and should involve building a hospital.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Please Don't expect to come here to the Big Island and use up our next generations limited resources without providing them insurance of ways to make a living for their Ohana's in the future. jmo

Hasn't TMT committed to contributing a lot of money to local education, and other projects? It's not their fault no local astronomers are working on the mountain. Holding them liable for the alleged sins of past telescope projects is nothing but harmful spite.