Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The bums are back in Pahoa
it would cost less to just get each homeless person an apartment. Isn't that incredible?

Less:
Police calls
Emergency room visits because they have a roof over their head. And a bathroom to wash up.

More:
Access by social workers to get them help on a preventive basis, when it is far less expensive.
Food & better quality food they can keep in a fridge, resulting in higher nutrition and better health.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
it would cost less to just get each homeless person an apartment

Unfortunately this is not how funding is allocated. Housing is effectively "optional" and therefore "too exepensive" and/or "less important" -- but a trip to the emergency room is "mandatory" because it's now an "emergency" (and that money comes out of a different budget).
http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/.../170129928

I suppose the majority of you are aware of this unusual approach for the possible solution to the mentally ill/ homeless members of our society here in Hawaii.
I agree in theory with this approach, I just don't know how this could be funded thru Medicaid.
Even if there were available funds left thru Medicaid, would the Federal Gov. allow this?
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

This community rallied when Luquin's burned - most likely due to homeless drug addicts - and people posted very ecstatically when they got ran out. Well, I am just reporting that some of the old regulars are back and you attack me?

This begs the question: While missing, where did they go?

The concurrent fire reminds me of the solution devised by Vlad the Impaler for the homeless and unemployed. Such cruelty would never been seen in Hawaii, but there may be some folks at the national level who secretly long for this type of action.
Hobo Heaven:
"it would cost less to just get each homeless person an apartment"
"If you build it, he will come." Shoeless - Joe Jackson, ad infinitum.
quote:
Originally posted by BillyB
"If you build it, he will come." ... ad infinitum.

Would you move into a homeless apartment complex, assuming your circumstances didn't make it your best possible living situation?
Because, it wouldn't be my first choice.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

quote:
Originally posted by BillyB
"If you build it, he will come." ... ad infinitum.

Would you move into a homeless apartment complex, assuming your circumstances didn't make it your best possible living situation?
Because, it wouldn't be my first choice.

Depends on the rent and the bums in question.

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Send them to Oahu.
All the facilities and services needed are there anyway.
They can provide badly needed local cuteness for HART.
Or maybe another oceanfront camp.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I agree... Pahoa needs a public restroom. If we had a well placed one the tour buses could come to town too.

While I do agree that it would be convenient to have public restrooms in Pahoa. Unfortunately, there are also other aspects of such a project that should also be in the equation while considering. This is just one of many
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/shasta/.../433465057
Here’s a suggestion for dealing with the street people squatting around Pahoa. Put them on a work farm. It was a common practice in the US up until probably 1940s. No money, no job, no home, you often went to the farm. Important changes for the new (today’s) version:

1) No one is forced to work. You take a large rural area/farm--4 to 10 acres say--and set up quonset huts with plenty chairs, tables, porta toilets, etc. The street people hang out all day. Make efforts to get these folks involved in gardening, other meaningful activities, even if only 1-2 hours a day. Gentle encouragement. Can they water a few plants maybe? Plants a few seedlings? Pick fruit? Work can start at 4 p.m. when it is getting cooler, for those disinclined to do anything. Work is not a bad thing! It is the basis of all civilization. And the outside, nature, is healthy!

Ideally the site is already a working farm of sorts, perhaps even within walking distance of Pahoa. You need an akamai individual or two to supervise. They will qualify for government payment for running the operation. (On the mainland, they often set up these farms outside prisons, which much aids in supervision. Many Hawaii prison inmates should be on a work farm.)

2) A major objective is to keep these folks from hanging out in town/city centers. The street people are welcome to visit Pahoa and Hilo. As in maybe several hours a day. A visit. Not lying sprawled out on sideways and nooks all day, every day. Daily farm attention requirement: say 8 hours

3) How do we get street people to stay on site? A challenge but two ideas come to mind. I) Anyone getting any form of government assistance who causes continual problems by habitually camping on the streets all day is assigned to the farm. No show up, no government assistance II) Criminal convictions, shoplifting, vandalism, petty crime, you get a 3-6 months on the farm. There are no fences. If they walk off, they walk off. Non compliance results in our weak justice system doing whatever it does now in cases where street people persist in low level criminal and nuisance activity.

The farm idea is only a partial solution, not a cure all. Could housing be provided? Yes. This is another topic.