Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to donate for the Harvey storm?
The reason Red Cross does not set restrictions on donations per event is they want to make sure they can respond adequately to any emergency properly, not just the ones that draw in big dollars. Flooding in Texas brings in a lot of money, but there are other events that go unnoticed daily that the Red Cross provides help for. Funneling funds to single events isn't necessarily the most effective use of their resources and they try to scale them per disaster even if the donations are not coming in.
"Funneling funds to single events isn't necessarily the most effective use of their resources"

No, but it might be the most effective use of their fundraising. And without fundraising, there are no resources.
I think you need to look at the link about Red Cross and their P&L. Look at their budgets and then go look at their world wide projects. If they have 1 or 2 major events and confine their funds to support just those, there will literately be about 10,000 other things they will struggle to fund each year. If you don't like how they operate, then don't donate, but to not donate because you can't tell them exactly how to spend every dollar isn't logical.
That's why it's best to donate to the local food banks.. pet shelters ect. At least their overhead is cheaper.. and most of the workers are volunteers.

If I donate a thousand dollars to help the Houston residents.. I want it to go to the Houston residents. Not put in a bank account for whatever purpose they decide.
Red Cross has a lot of volunteers too and if you donate, 90.1% of your money will go to help people. If you feel Houston deserves it more than say an earthquake ravaged town that could happen next week, that's your choice. But a lot of people bash Red Cross lately and I don't think it's deserved.
I received an email early this morning from a CEO in the Houston area. Although his office on San Felipe Blvd. (S W Houston) received minor damage, many of his employees have lost everything. Some are still cut off from their flooded homes and some are unable to get to work. His firm is currently providing meals to his employees, those that can make it to work at least and his firm has donated $1 million to the relief effort.

copied below is the middle of his email listing suggestions for recipients of donations.

THE HOUSTON FOOD BANK:
The Houston Food Bank is the nation's largest food bank, distributing more than 79 million
meals last year through hunger relief charities in 18 counties. It is working with partner agencies to ensure that food continues to be provided to those most in need, and also to those who will struggle to rebuild their lives after Hurricane Harvey.

BAKERRIPLEY:
Late in the night of Tuesday, August 29, BakerRipley opened the city's largest shelter at Houston's NRG Stadium, preparing for up to 10,000 evacuees forced out of their homes by flooding. In collaboration with other agencies, BakerRipley takes over after the efforts of initial emergency responders to provide long-term disaster relief.
STAR OF HOPE MISSION:
Since 1907, Star of Hope Mission has been dedicated to helping homeless men, women and children through programs that focus on education, employment, spiritual growth and other foundations.

SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH
Second Baptist Church is one of the nation's largest churches, with six campuses in the Houston area. It is helping to restore homes damaged by flooding. Teams of volunteers, including Vacations To Go employees, are providing supplies, cleaning out flooded homes, tearing out wet carpet and walls and more to begin the restoration process.

MEMORIAL ASSISTANCE MINISTRIES
Memorial Assistance Ministries ensures that families in financial crisis have the means to meet basic needs. This can range from providing assistance with rent and utility bills and access to medical services to job coaching and financial education. During disasters like Hurricane Harvey, it responds to those who need rehousing, replacement furniture, financial assistance, trauma counseling and much more.

HOUSTON SPCA
Founded in 1924, the Houston SPCA is the city's oldest and largest animal protection organization. It aids more than 50,000 animals a year, providing shelter, rescue, rehabilitation, adoption and other services. Staff and volunteers are working to help pets displaced by Harvey.
Here's a comment from a Houston relief organizer about the Red Cross response, so far:

Late Tuesday, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett announced that a 10,000-bed Harris County shelter was opening at NRG Park that would accommodate families as well as their pets.

Emmett said the shelter was needed both because the George R. Brown Convention Center is overflowing with people displaced by historic flooding, and also because of logistical problems and delays he had observed working with the Red Cross at shelters around town.

"I don't want to throw anybody under the bus but the Red Cross, they couldn't get anything done," Emmett said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/hou...160061.php

While the Cajun Navy* drove their pickup trucks with flat bottom boats in tow from New Orleans, and ferried victims and supplies across Houston flood waters, the Red Cross had supply trucks still waiting in Dallas.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun_Navy

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Kind of cherry picking there but I can do the same.

"Normally all of these agencies especially the local officials and the local entities along with the Red Cross are right there, but nothing of this size has happened in our nation's history."

It was a position echoed by Red Cross executive Todd James, who said the organization had prepositioned supplies in anticipation of Hurricane Harvey's arrival, but that the damage inflicted by the storm had made deliveries of additional supplies difficult.
Plenty of videoes of people helping people on youtube #houston but nothing on red cross ... how odd.
Kind of cherry picking there

I think in the long term, the Red Cross will provide much needed assistance to Houston residents. During the initial response, the boots on the ground (or boats on the water) already in Houston were better positioned to reach people in immediate need, food, shelter, etc. But the assistance is going to be necessary for a long time to come, and the Red Cross will play a major role.

I posted the article as many Punaweb members asked for a reason to donate to one organization over another. I thought it provided some up to date information that would help them decide.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves