Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
harry wants more money
The total budget for "welfare" including EBT is minuscule compared to other govt expenditures. A lot of our grocery stores in Hawai'i, especially here in Puna, wouldn't be open without EBT. Other civilized nations consider food a basic right for their citizens, regardless of their income, employment or other circumstances. So I say feed everyone you can and bitch about something else.

*edited for clarity
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

sell photos, books, paintings,

Have you ever spoken with an artist or writer? Or heard the term starving artist? It’s the most difficult way you can choose to try and earn a living.

apps etc.

Someone generally unemployable might just maybe have the skills of a tech savant? Then design a killer app which will get noticed above the millions of other apps at the App Store?

Perhaps the unemployed could become politicians? It doesn’t appear there’s any special skill or knowledge required, based on what some current politicians tweet. The pay is great and the benefits fantastic, but of course they’d be living off the taxpayer like an EBT recipient, so I guess that’s out.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain

I guess you never heard of Wyland. Starving? I think not.

Speaking Truth to Lies!!! / Facts to Ignorance!!!
Open-d,

You sure take up a lot of space without saying much.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrim

So I say feed everyone you can and bitch about something else.

*edited for clarity

If it came down to basic sustenance, it would be one thing, it it came down to sustenance in exchange for something of value (labor, for example), it would be one thing, a decidenly-better thing. Unfortunately, EBT has no limitations on what kind of foodstuffs can be purchased, and are, in effect, a form of script that can be parlayed into luxury/convenience foods, or alcohol and/or drugs by substitution. It is grossly unfair, and a slap in the face, to those who have to fund it, and destructive, in many ways, to those who use it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Open-d,

You sure take up a lot of space without saying much.

Punaweb moderator

With all due respect, I say more here than just about anyone else, and most combined. You don't like it, or agree with it, perhaps, but that doesn't diminish it.

If I didn't say much of anything, few would respond, and you know that is not the case.

Again, with all due respect.

Well, with all due respect I find you tiresome and not particularly well informed.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Well, with all due respect I find you tiresome and not particularly well informed.

Opinion noted. I bring truth, whether you can, or are willing, to recognize it or not. WADR.

I gotta say. That's a rather arrogant statement. Usually I only hear that attitude from priests, pastors and mullahs.

Keep this in mind. I own this site and have run it for fifteen years or so now. I operate it with a minimal set of rules. The rules can be and fairly often are broken. If it becomes a problem I remove people. Sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. It is a judgement call. My judgement.

Punaweb moderator
Yes, I understand and accept that it is your baseball, and you, thereby, make the rules. You have been very forgiving to all of us, myself included, especially recently.

Further, I would offer that a mere difference of opinion on the subject matter being discussed does not violate the spirit of discussion or the rules you promulgate and enforce. If I am incorrect, please advise. WADR.

Gotta run. Even though it is Sunday, I must go to my warehouse and ship some stuff to Amazon.