Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it take to have sanitary conditions
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I like the idea of portables or composters up on the road, if it could be done. But the original question was about fully functioning restrooms...

If the "real" restrooms are not possible,then something still needs to be done.
Or not?
To Quote Hawaii County Planning director Chris Yuen
Puna’s population grew from 5500 in 1970, to over 31,000 in 2000, and continues togrow at an even faster pace in the six years since the last census, because of the vacant lots on these subdivisions.

http://www.hawaii-county.com/planning/cd...issues.pdf
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
ok I am just going to throw this out their. in a lot of cities you have pay rest room's the run from .10 to .25 to get into the stall.

Could it be possible, to have porta potties put in, with the same idea as a parking meter, pay as you go. no pun intended.

another option is forming a non-profit group and seek out grant funding. like some sort of urban renewal project. I know the urban renewal group here has strict by-laws that their projects cant make money for an individual. but their is nothing that says it cant charge to pay for its self.

one of the projects going on here is a pedestrian bridge over the river cost 785 thousand dollars. point is the money is out their. if you can put together a non-profit group and get a good grant writer.
with the flesh eating bacteria issue that alone should be enough to get some sort of funding.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
Hey,guys,I have an idea.
Get naked supermodels (male and female) to walk around and collect donations for the restrooms?[Wink]

As Carey mentioned, it's not about how to pay for something. Be it composting, porta-potties, or a water flush; it's all about what will be allowed and can it survive a challenge? Even if it survives the EA, anyone can challenge it. Remember, to you, it's toilets for public, sanitary and environmental good. To developers and investors it’s a project to get changes to their benefit.
OK,Bob,Carey (and others),I get that the task is not likely to be accomplished unless an epidemic of some monstrous kind happens.

But what steps a stubborn dedicated group of individuals can take to try?
Petition to who/what?

Any names?

"State" - is too general.
You could try the petition route and risk bringing the public health danger to the the general public's notice. The result could be the desired one, or a closing of the beach to protect the public health. Or you could form a group to look for viable ways to solve the problem which doesn't involve whining to the County or State to expend funds in a falling economy and shrinking budgets.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
In a falling economy, it's good to have a pristine coastline and active ocean entry lava flow to attract what visitors that do make it here. The problem is that on the well traveled tourist circuit from Pahoa to Kapoho to Kalapana and back to Pahoa, there's ONE public restroom (Pohoiki) and a few portables at the ocean entry from 2:00 to 9:00 PM.

I guess a local Hepatitus outbreak like the one at the Monkey Palace in Opihikau a few years ago wouldn't have an effect on the economy. After all, most of the folks at Kehena probably have health insurance, right?

All I'm suggesting is that some portables (environmentally friendly) and water (trailer) be set up while a more permanent composting unit is discussed, studied and permitted. As far as I know, Portapotties need no permits or exemptions- The waste is exported to a treatment facility.

The question is if this would scare off the traditional "leave it alone, we got bushes" people; or attract more mainstream "they get- we go" families.
Greg,I agree with you.But the question remains-what does it take?

First, don't try to reinvent the wheel. What have others done? How did they do it? Why were they successful? What did they try that didn’t work?

Isn't there a porta-pottie at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach? I believe 'O Ka'u Kakou is the organization behind it. I would start by speaking to them.