Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
centepede bite - helpful advice needed
hope you are getting better andrew!

after reading this thread last night, you can bet i checked the bed before hopping into it.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Daily centipede bite blog.
Report for 1/16/09 AM

Normal body temperature measured last PM and this AM when measured orally.
Locally bite area is warm to the touch. Swelling and redness remain this AM but pain reduced substantially.
Keeping leg elevated and popping Benadryl regularly as prescribed by box.
Drinking Gin from time to time as well.

On the home front pest control experts have been called in with full battalion strength. I'm hoping to see flame throwers and armored vehicles bare minimum.

Sending wife to bed and onto sofa and onto various chairs, down garden paths and so on BEFORE ME to flush out any little devils that may be lurking.

Hoping for full and speedy recovery.

Thanks for all the love folks.

Andrew

ps Carrie: Our regular place is on dirt and post and pier in Leilani but the place where it happened is much drier, on slab/dirt. So far I have seen very few centipedes in Leilani. Thankfully..

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
quote:
Originally posted by centipede

I was dinged in the back by a medium brown one. It hurt and left a welt, but the pain was gone the next day. I was also "scratched" by the sharp nails of 2 small blue ones; one on a little toe and one on the knuckle of a pinkee. They itched bad for a few days and that was about it. So relax. It's something you can tell your friends about.

I also spoke with a person who had a red one run across her face while she was sitting on a couch, minding her own business. It didn't ding her.

These creatures are aggressive predators but they're only out looking for chow, and if you don't mess with them, they won't mess with you.

I should have mentioned that the brown one hit me at about 11:00 PM on Thanksgiving Eve 2007. This was quite close to the time when the latest volcanic breakout occurred and I was wondering if there may have been a connection between the two incidents. Any thoughts?
Quote:
"These creatures are aggressive predators but they're only out looking for chow, and if you don't mess with them, they won't mess with you."-centipede

Sorry, but this just isn't true. They are a sophisicated network of insect terrorists dedicated to the downfall of me, Greg.

I have never treated a centipede with anything but kindness and respect, only to be hunted down and attacked viciously in my sleep.

No more shall I appease them. As Sir Winston Churchill said:

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in the bedroom, we shall fight on the lanai and the porch, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the kitchen, we shall defend our home, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight in the bathrooms, we shall fight in the closets, we shall fight in the garage and in the yard, we shall fight in the pantry; we shall never surrender."

It's too obvious that you, sir, with your evil moniker; are a centipede symphathizer. [Wink]

Laughing, clapping, cheering - I'm with you Greg.

quote:

Sorry, but this just isn't true. They are a sophisicated network of insect terrorists dedicated to the downfall of me, Greg.

I have never treated a centipede with anything but kindness and respect, only to be hunted down and attacked viciously in my sleep.

No more shall I appease them. As Sir Winston Churchill said:

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in the bedroom, we shall fight on the lanai and the porch, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the kitchen, we shall defend our home, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight in the bathrooms, we shall fight in the closets, we shall fight in the garage and in the yard, we shall fight in the pantry; we shall never surrender."

It's too obvious that you, sir, with your evil moniker; are a centipede symphathizer. [Wink]

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Hey Greg, you might treat them with kindness and respect, but do you pet them???
To tell you the truth, I have trouble telling which end is the front !
That's one of the centipedes defense mechanisms, can't tell which is the front or the rear.

The side with the very long "antenna" is the rear. They are really well for grabbing their victims.

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

To tell you the truth, I have trouble telling which end is the front !

quote:
Originally posted by centipede

Hey Greg, you might treat them with kindness and respect, but do you pet them???

OMG!!!

Not only they bite - they talk!!!