Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna, Hilo and Mauna Kea slide show
Tom. another set of stunning photos. You have a real eye for the detail that draws the viewer in. I love them. Peggy

Life goes on, with you or without you.
Peace and long life
Tom, stunning is the word, not being kind, I want to know the secret!

Have you ever seen the Monarch butterflies convergence on Pacific Grove?
Jon - I don't think I know where Cayucos is! I'll look it up and hopefully the next time I visit the west coast I'll give it a look!

Peg - thank you!

Kathy - do you do much photography? I don't mean that unkindly at all because I'm still a beginner (18 months now) but am just curious if I said "use aperture priority" would it mean anything to you? That way I know what level to use when I talk to you!

I use a couple of techniques which seem to work for the light conditions you get at sunset/sunrise but you need a camera which you can set manually and the biggest thing is use a tripod! I'd be happy to pass on tips, perhaps in email?

Like I said, I'm still learning and so far all my photos have been taken with a $300 camera. I won't make the pages of National Geographic but it is possible to take really nice pictures with a relatively cheap camera and, I might add, free software!

As for California, I've only been on two trips there (ignoring overnight stops in LA or SFO on the way to and back from Europe) and the trip in April was the first time I spent significant time there. I've not seen the butterflies (what time of year does that happen?) but I did identify Pacific Grove as a place I'd happily retire to. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever be able to afford it...

Tom

Wow! Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them. I am sending the sideshow links to some friends on the mainland who I am sure will be awed.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

All creative work is derivative.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvd5JZkUXY

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

It's not photos,it's art and belong to an art gallery.
Thank you for sharing.
Amazing!

Whatever you assume,please
just ask a question first.
AlohaSteven - thank you! Just be aware that the MK 2010 slide show is being updated as I take photos, so it will change (I've added two or three more today).

StillHope - I sucked at art at school. Really sucked. I like this new photography hobby because there's some science in it (which I'm OK at) and I have another chance to get my act together when it comes to art!

Personally I don't think my photos are good enough for a gallery, technically they're not up to it I think, but I'm getting my act together as to what makes a nice picture and that's all I'm really aiming at.

Thank you again, all your kind comments mean a lot to me.

Tom
@TomK

Would you care to share your techniques for sunrise/sunset? I'm not a photographer but have been thinking about trying to capture some of the great light we get up here Waimea wetside at dawn when the clouds cooperate.

I have access to a decent DSLR so the camera is up to it, but I don't have a clue.

Also I don't know photography but I know what I like and I think your photos are fantastic. Not just because you have a great subject but your framing and choice of what aspect of your subject to capture is pretty incredible.

Thanks for sharing your talent, pretty amazing stuff.
There are probably some technics Da Vinci (not from PW) used on that smile of Mona Lisa...

@Stillhope

Wanted to clarify Tom mentioned in a previous post he had learned some techniques for capturing light at sunrise/sunset and that he has only been at this a couple years.

I wasn't trying to imply that all you need is to know how to use a camera and you'll get photos like his. I think he really has a gift in his ability in knowing what to shoot and from what perspective.

I am just hoping to capture what is some pretty incredible light up here and "point and click" doesn't really get it done.

If it sounded like I was trying to diminish Tom's talent that wasn't my intent.
Freestate,I didn't think that about your post AT ALL.
You are one of the most respectful posters here.
It as a general observation and a joke.Imagine a PW member with a name Mozart[Smile]...