Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$1.5 million toward a coastal road into Puna?
Majority rule:

If 12% of residents don't want a road, but 88% do, then anyone who served the public would need to refer to the wishes of the 88%.

Majority rule.

That's all I meant. As I said, some will be disappointed, and others will read into something that just isn't intended or there.

Stay active, and keep your voice out there if you want any changes made to current infrastructure.

And no, I don't mean the voters. I'm talking about listening to the ACTUAL CITIZENS who live in all of these neighborhoods which might be affected by a PMAR in the future.

(Typo edited.)

Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
Oh well then my mistake. I thought you were avocating something different. We don't rule on the majority now, only a facade of it.
MONEY, special interests, American Interests(Corp.) and lobbiest are the minority and they get ALL the benifits, we get the crumbs. The majority does what the few dictate. S O S O
What on earth makes you think a dysfunctional and underfunded State & County could ever pull it off? In it's current condition and even with substantial modification.....it's not going to happen. Legally and financially it's impossible. Check back in twenty years and read the same comments and questions with no answers.
It's amusing to see all the current whining about the terrible government who will never ever, ever do anything effectively, and is totally certain to treat its citizens badly, other than the favored few, of course. And then to see right up against those angry attitudes, the repeated assertions that a relatively small homeowner's association (compared to the state certainly) can't even get paving right when it is obviously in their direct pocketbook interests to produce an effective paving plan. This is where the "LOL" acronym comes in handy.

The best course seems to be to drop the attitudes about the government, start to produce some reasonable and doable plans to address real problems and make sure your voices get heard.
The truth is absolute and cannot be changed. To throw it into a pile along with attitudes, equates it with opinions and that is wrong. Government, as structured in Hawaii. is ineffective and incapable of creating actionable plans, much less executing them. Let's see....some of worst health care ( state run and guaranteed non-competitive) ) and education ( state run ) in the nation........driven by unions and entitlement programs.....never fully ratifying portions of the US Constitution, and a revenue flow that is 100% driven by people that think Puna is a Barbaric state that does not matter. You think for a minute that you will get a lower Puna road? Wake up !!!!! . You got a study to keep you quiet !!!!!! Crumbs instead of a full meal. Of course, you will get to see the menu, but you will be asked to leave before the meal is enjoyed by others.

Then people want to slam the HPPOA ( of course, without getting involved and getting their hands dirty), as it is easy to criticize from a distance, out of ignorance. The simple fact of the matter is that HPPOA should never have had the responsibility to act as a municipality, but did so because the residents wanted action ( paving and access roads, etc.) and the government ( who should be responsible) wants nothing to do with the past sins it committed and the nightmares it has created. Like I said, the government entities ( who know that most anything to do with a private subdivision wouldn't fly) stayed at arms length knowing the scenarios were doomed to fail. To bitch and whine without taking the time to actually know what the hell is happening around you makes one worse than the brain dead Hawaii governing system.

HPP is not a city and only gets marginal representation in the current set up ( odds are against the current Representatives) and the folks upstream are not going to give in .......period. Lucky you live Hawaii? Get informed and initiative change !!!!!!
I agree with most of what you say punatick, and I have had my hands dirty in hpp since i moved in before the turn of the century. So when lots were cheaper than they are now. The place was dead. Then the sepculators descended from near and far.

Have at it, you got a crew? you can frame a house and use someone else's contractor's liscense to final it. I've seen so much s...... it makes me ill. Watched a half dozen managers come and go, and come back and go again. My road hasn't improved in a decade.
I used to fix it myself with my own equiptment, not cost effective, when you gotta pay road fees and taxes and it ain't my kuliana to be fixing my road.

The Neighborhood Watch is a joke and every criminal knows it. When they evacuated the cliff for the Tsunami the crooks slid right in, who wouldda thought? I called the Keaau police dept. Sat. nite and there was NO answer, tried again 15 minutes later, no one home.
This is unexceptable. If there is a murder/assault in Kau where there are onlt 2 cops on duty they have to wait for a 3rd officer to come from Keaau to respond. An hour later?

YOU are on your OWN in Puna and don't think for a moment otherwise. Or you'll be open to being victimized. You got property? fence it, get dogs, big ones and more than one. The crooks are opportunists, not professionals. They'll take the house with no fence, no dogs and open windows, which are a joke in hpp. Most of the new houses all have plastic frame windows. You know what a propane tourch can do to that quickly and quitely?

Puna feels like kindergarden and no one is going to first grade. oh they don't even have Kindergarden in Puna, lol forgot.

and pete you can have all the best ideas in the world, doesn't mean ANYONE around here will give a .........

Any fool can make a rule, and Every fool will follow it. -- Henry David Thoreau

Makuu.......the voice of reality. It's harsh, but it is none the less a reality that Puna is no more than an afterthought at the end of the food chain. Once you accept that and build your own independent world without expectations of outside help or interference, then life can be good in Puna. To chase the "what if" and have expectations of civilization as it exists somewhere else, is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Punatick, I'll continued to be dissapointed outside of my garden of eden. I love my spot, it's the best spot on the island I've been to. And I've lived in a few spots on this rock as well as the others island in Hawaii.

I love Puna, geographically.

Politically and culturally it's limited, to say the least. Believe me I know, I've been playing in their sandbox for over a decade. My lawyer was a personal friend before I ever need him to go to court. Now I'm using the Prosecuting Attorney because I paid for them already and my lawyer ain't takin trades no more, time's tough for him too,lol.

The REASON I moved down here from the other side was because it WAS dead. Kinda like it is now only without all these ugly ripped lots with the cracker jack boxes on them.
I "expect" nothing from the county, state or any commitee, that way I'm not dissapointed when they come up with nothing.

Actually my life couldn't get any better, ...but it keeps doing so.....

Any fool can make a rule, and Every fool will follow it. -- Henry David Thoreau

Wink... Next step - some real beaches are in order.
After all - this is the cradle of Hawaii and there's a good reason for that. Anyone here noticed the low key clearing going on at Honolulu Landing?

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.