Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threat of Axis Deer on the Big Island
Good Lord, just because something is good to eat doesn't mean its good for the island.

About as shortsighted as it gets. There are other options for feeding the population besides one that will ultimately be more damaging than helpful.

Its not an either/or situation.

If Axis deer have the impact on agriculture that they are alleged to have then importing the deer is a huge step backwards. Also as a reality check can I assume that I will never again hear anything against importing alien species since it is obviously such a simple and good idea that a bunch of good ole boy hunters can do so and get better results than the trained biologists and wildlife managers? The mongoose was a roaring success, right?
Awesome post Kathy,

Kipa, you gotta realize its not a 1:1 thing, same same with Sierra Club. Data / knowledge was just not available 30 years ago like it is now. ... The sheep may or may not have lit the fuse but as you yourself have stated, both populations are going down.

Part two here is as soon as i hear something to the effect of " these people " myself and many other open minded folks stop 'listening'.

Now the deer, so you guys wanna feed off them instead or wat ?

Get the army guys and green harvest out for target practice / training .... GA Ga Ga Ga.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ7XmZZk1Tc

pog,
you're right about available knowledge back then. So why are they still slaughtering sheep from helicopters as we speak? in fact they are planing three more shoots before this christmas. That is just the problem I'm trying to point out.
They don't care that the facts aren't lining up. Just shoot them all now.

They've spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the past 30 years to slaughter animals from helicopters but they don't have a dime to do real research. hmm?

These animals have survived for over 200 years and have adapted and evolved. In fact they are unique to the Island already. You can't find similar animals anywhere. Darwin would be amazed. we get a chance to see evolution
right before our very eyes and all we can do is destroy it.
this media and political blitz is being promoted and elevated by the cattle interests - follow the money
These must be axis of evil deer.
Regarding sheep on Mauna Kea, back in the late 60's early 70's above at what was then the tree line enclosures were made to see what the mountain would look like without the sheep. I remember seeing the bio-diversity of native plant and life inside the enclosures as compared to the nothing outside the fence. If you could look back 200 years you would see what has been lost. 200 years from now what will our children say of our care taking.
I don't know if this is could be practical, but it could be a compromise.

If they make a fenced preserve for game animals and let hunters use it (with a limit so they don't wipe out the game), then the deer wouldn't be pests around the rest of the island.

They could shoot the wild ones with tranq darts and relocate them, instead of allowing them to breed around the island.

Just a thought. The Big Island is probably not capable of pulling it together.
LOL on that last line Kathy : )

aloha,
pog
Smile pog
I had to balance out the nearly optimistic tone of presenting a possible solution. [Wink]

In order to have a closed reserve, they would need lots of tall fencing and the fencing would need regular maintenance. That's a lot of bucks for them to spend on keeping the hunters happy ...

but then millions get spend dealing with smuggled in invasive animals.
Maybe if there were a few good hunting reserves, the smuggling wouldn't be needed.
I didn't mention the sheep, but they could go into the reserves as well.