Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Chance on a new topic of Moving to Puna?
quote:
Originally posted by notsoonenough

yes i have noticed that people are harshly forthcoming about moving to puna like a sign that screams turn back, turn the **** back!
obviously we all get that the job scene is super poor and the weather is very rainy.
we all get that
we have scoured the internet for every blog

Well,there's no point in this thread.Every time a newbee posts about moving to Puna and get some warning about so many people leaving after 2 years or earlier he or she thinks : "Yeah,right! You all still live there,you just don't want more people coming!"

New comers have already made their mind.They don't want warnings.
They want approval of their decision.

My friend lost the job and is loosing the house .I am OK so far but I am very aware that this can happen to me any time .My SO who had no health problems is having hard time with vog related issues.
That could be the reason we would have to move back to the US.

Would my friend listen to any warnings? Would I?

Most likely not.

I love living here and especially enjoy hiking in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, snorkeling, never being very far from the Pacific, growing my own food, the beautiful forest and flowers, the farmers markets, and my friends and neighbors. After seven years, I find myself liking it even more. The part I like best is my own back yard and garden where I can always find peace and something to do that makes me feel good! I even like to garden in the rain sometimes. I couldn't have anything like this anywhere else I would be able to live comfortably.

The warnings that get posted here and elsewhere may indeed go unheeded for various reasons, but who among us doesn't know someone who left after two years (or less) broken hearted, angry, disillusioned, and/or in dire financial straits? I know several people who have been it that situation, and I don't think it is mean spirited at all to point out the possible downsides to those considering the move.
Here here Jerry, i full heatedly agree. i wish some one was kind enough to give me a warning or two before i made my move. may be i wouldn't of rushed into it like i did. Now that i have, i am doing everything i can to adapt because if i don't, moving back would be a tremendous expense and a further hardship. It is a beautiful place don't get me wrong big island lover, its just not a super easy place to adapt to, not as easy as i thought it would be. past week been so rainy and overcast, it got me depressed and sick with flu, not something i ever thought would happen to me in imagined sunny and warm hawaii. stuff like that you need to be aware of, its not an idyllic paradise, its just another interesting place to live among many more out there.
quote:
Originally posted by KeaauRich

...really nice weather except when we're getting torrential rain (see: Oct 31-Dec. 25, 2011)

I remember it so well, actually right now we have been getting some more, hope it doesn't go on for 7 weeks tho.
hawaiideborah
Yep, Christmas was the first real sunny day, hard to forget that!

I think it matters a tremendous amount what stage of life you're in and what you want in your future. I don't mean that it is good for one age and not another, but different stages of life face different rewards and challenges.

Even coming here to go to school -- perfect for Carey, because of the field she has chosen, but for me in English it would have been a second or even third tier school to go to UHH.

As a retiree, medical is going to be important. As a working parent, if you have small kids who have to go to Oahu for appointments, it will be a hassle. If you are 25 and rarely see a doctor, you won't be too concerned. I sure never thought about medical care any time I ever moved, never factored it in -- but when I got here, it became an issue because there was a doctor shortage.

Although I didn't come to Puna as a young person, I did move to a very rural lifestyle from age 20-30. I did the live in the country and raise kids thing, taking classes at the local CC and lived in an area without a four year college.

At some point, I changed. I was no longer happy doing the rural thing and not getting a real education. I moved to go to school in the city ... (and this would be relevant to a Puna young person who wanted to do the same) ... it was really tough going and competing with urban folks who talked faster and did everything faster.

Point being, it is always possible that your values and interests will change, even though you are sure when you're young that they won't. You will open some doors coming here and you will close others. You can opt out of the rat race while you're young, like I did, but you'll opt out of other things, like possible careers, when you do.

It's a big decision. Too many people come here to escape bad weather, grow your own food, thinking it will have all the same opportunities only without ever getting cold. That's not true. There are opportunities here for certain paths, but not for others.

As for family, it's been hard in that I haven't seen my parents in over a decade. I really love my folks and I don't know what will happen if one dies, and needs me, because I know my dad would never come to this climate, and I doubt my mom would like it either ... and ... it's going to be tough choices one of these days.

Think it all through.

I admit I am not that enthusiastic about encouraging people to follow the live off the land dream as the primary road to fulfillment. Mostly because I have already done that, and life is more complex than that. All the couples I knew split up, all the families ended up broken, a lot of the kids never went to college or found a career, and I've seen more dystopia than utopia.

Growing food is a very good thing, but it's not the only thing. So many people start out with "I just want to have a bit of land with fruit trees and a garden" -- great if you are already a gardener, and know what it's about, but beware if you're a city person and you have a fantasy about living in the country, and think that merely by living rural you will be happy. I encourage people to fill in the picture with what else you are going to do to be happy.

That said -- if I lived in Houston, I don't see how it couldn't be an improvement!
When I fantasize about going somewhere else, it sure isn't to Houston. Or LA. [Wink]
My best buddy in Hawaii sums it up with an old movie line:

"Its an island, if you do not bring it, count on "it" not being here"

I believe this to be true in both the psychological and monetary fronts.

I think this is a great place for those in the retirement mode - with enough reserves to travel back to the mainland a few times a year for medical issues etc.

As to starting a life here - employment would be the tough issue, good strong hands on skills are a real plus imho.

Bring a big enough wallet, good skills and a relaxed attitude - no issues and a grand experience in the offing....

Lacking in either could lead to flip side of the story, sooner or later, in my opinion

I am so happy I found this site! My husband and I are thinking of moving to Pahoa in a yr or 2. I wld like to gather all the info I can before doing so. Is there any one out there that lives in Pahoa? My husband did live in that area about 6 yrs ago for a few months and loved it. We have lived in Utah for most of our life and Don't like the cold at all. We wld like to live in a small laid back town. I am an artist...wld love to sell my stuff at that farmers market I hear is good. and my husband is in realestate. I do have two children...11 and 3 and want to make sure we find a safe area. Does anyone have kids and know about the schools? I did find a charter school...Arts and science academy that looks great..not sure if it is free tuition? Also I heard it mostly rains at night and is more sunny in the day...is this true? Any info would help. Thanks!
IMO, the upshot of it all is that Hawaii, and Puna in particular, has both high positives and high negatives. I lived in Ireland a few years back before returning here, and while there was little negative there (just before the collapse), there was also pretty much nothing that I actually liked about it. The main benefit that it has to to make me appreciate Hawaii more!
quote:
Originally posted by jenny.mcculloch

I am so happy I found this site! My husband and I are thinking of moving to Pahoa in a yr or 2. I wld like to gather all the info I can before doing so. Is there any one out there that lives in Pahoa? My husband did live in that area about 6 yrs ago for a few months and loved it. We have lived in Utah for most of our life and Don't like the cold at all. We wld like to live in a small laid back town. I am an artist...wld love to sell my stuff at that farmers market I hear is good. and my husband is in realestate. I do have two children...11 and 3 and want to make sure we find a safe area. Does anyone have kids and know about the schools? I did find a charter school...Arts and science academy that looks great..not sure if it is free tuition? Also I heard it mostly rains at night and is more sunny in the day...is this true? Any info would help. Thanks!

Check out the farmers markets first to see if your stuff can compete. They are saturated with artists with great stuff. Lots of looking, little buying that I have seen. Maybe an artist here can give you personal experiences.

Also, plenty of real estate and real estate agents. Hopefully he can find a "niche".
Very expensive to move over. Lived there five years. Think I liked the idea of living there more than living there. Twitterpated the first six months, loved the next two years, questioned the two after, hated it after that. Moved back - very expensive. I'm back in the heartland and I can take a really deep breath, and back with my peeps, never happier. Love it that ya'll love it there. Not for me long term. But how dull would this world be if everyone wanted the same thing as me(?) - please don't answer that.