Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast
Actually, the County does have property right on the water in HPP.
FOR EVERYONE THAT IS NEAR THE WATER, LAVA FLOW & SUCH

The Civil Defense alarms were initially installed around the country as AIR RAID sirens (remember the "duck & cover" practices at school???), & locations were chosen based on the proximity based on population density AT THE TIME....The country, as a whole, did not do a whole lot of new siren land allocation & installation for decades... what with the end of the Cold War & all....

If you have NOT signed up already for the Hawaii County Civil Defense Notification, DO IT NOW!!!! link:
http://ww2.citywatchonline.com/Public/Si...kuC41zEKNw==

or follow these directions:
Hawai‘i County residents need to register for City Watch notification messages by either mailing their contact information to: County of Hawai‘i Civil Defense Agency, 920 Ululani Street, Hilo, HI 96720. To register, please give your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please), city, sub-division (if applicable), home phone, cell phone, and email address. The service is free to all residents.

If anyone WAS already on this notification & did not receive notification, that would be another matter...

BUT TO KNOW YOU ARE NOT IN A SIREN LOCATION & not have an alternative plan is not wise, and REMEMBER NOT ALL hazards may get warnings to everyone...

IF YOU ARE IN AN INUNDATION ZONE: if you feel an earthquake, be prepared to evacuate....remember 3/11 & 1975 - you will only have MINUTES to evacuate...YOU MUST HAVE A PLAN, DO NOT expect the county to tell you what to do, KNOW IT & PRACTICE IT

The county Civil Defense does offer this service, at no additional cost to you... use it!
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Coast Guard helicopter flew over Vacationland warning people...

I think they also came over HPP . Heard the helicoptoer buzz and some annoucement from a lound speaker around 8pm.
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiideborah

Even if the sirens worked, those of who live on the water along Paradise Ala Kai on Shipman side can NOT EVER hear sirens. The sirens in HPP are located for those NOT waterfront to hear. So those of us in the most danger on the water get no sirens ever.
Yes, I emailed and phoned our city council and civil defense about this in the past. The excuse is there is no county land to locate the siren, so if you live in the most dangerous area, you are on your own. Hopefully your neighbors let you know.
Unbelievable that this is acceptable.

Edited for my typos.[Wink]

Don't want to start an argument but, I'm on 13th and Maku'u and can hear the siren on 6th. Those sirens rotate 360* while sounding if I'm not mistaking, why wouldn't some on only 6-7 blocks from the water hear them? I also thought there was a siren on Paradise.... Just asking......

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

quote:
Originally posted by Royall

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiideborah

Even if the sirens worked, those of who live on the water along Paradise Ala Kai on Shipman side can NOT EVER hear sirens. The sirens in HPP are located for those NOT waterfront to hear. So those of us in the most danger on the water get no sirens ever.
Yes, I emailed and phoned our city council and civil defense about this in the past. The excuse is there is no county land to locate the siren, so if you live in the most dangerous area, you are on your own. Hopefully your neighbors let you know.
Unbelievable that this is acceptable.

Edited for my typos.[Wink]

Don't want to start an argument but, I'm on 13th and Maku'u and can hear the siren on 6th. Those sirens rotate 360* while sounding if I'm not mistaking, why wouldn't someone only 6-7 blocks from the water hear them? I also thought there was a siren on Paradise.... Just asking......

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Carey, thanks for the civil defense notification website for signing up for emergency alerts. I am going to pass this on to people in my church.

I recommend to everyone: it's very easy to sign up. [Wink]

http://ww2.citywatchonline.com/Public/Si...kuC41zEKNw==
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Hi Royall,

The closest siren to Paradise Ala Kai is at Kaloli and 4th (as far as I know) which puts it 1.4 miles from the last house on Ala Kai.
Can a siren be heard from 1.4 miles away? I don't know.
I am 2 miles from the ocean, which puts me at least 1.4 miles from the nearest siren and I can hear them loud and clear. However, wind direction could certainly play a part.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I'm glad I was on the island to expirence this.
I'm located up in the top of Orchidland and I could hear the HPP Sirens clear as a bell.
Think I'm about 1.5 mile above the highway... Smile