Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent flow activity
Have hiked Capt. Trail many times when it was allowed before closure by HVNP a few years ago. Many people have been airlifted out when they got lost over the years. Who pays for the rescue? I assume it's the county? Do they then bill the non-compliant lost hikers? Good luck with that.
Now, there are photos posted too. Really good ones. It shows the dead lava tube - up above the current level of the lava. That is why the lava is no longer flowing through it. Also, there is now a "lava shield" and I am not sure if this means the lava has stopped flowing, or is now just building up.
It's Dead Jim!

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/uploads/image-90.jpg

Yay! Smile

But, hmmm, it's still not flowing into the ocean yet. Still good news!

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
quote:
[...] dead giveaway the person doing the report is a Brit [...]
"Brits" seem to be coming under more scrutiny than ever before on Punaweb. I know it's almost July 4th, but wonder what's up?
Watching all the British announcers on the World Cup the last 3+ weeks.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
The 900 tonnes/day amount was in response to the June 27 event. It's likely the gases already went back down to their background levels.
Yeah, lay off the Brits!! Smile we're a nice bunch. And we speak English better than anybody else does Smile

#10048;
#10048;
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

Funny how the USGS went to such an extreme to call K2 dead, rather than stalled like they used to describe every other flow. If the June 27 event continues, that will become K3. They are reporting 900 tonnes of SO2 (dead giveaway the person doing the report is a Brit) now, when it was about 200 tonnes per day.

Think about that. 900 tons of SO2 PER DAY. And here are these Punatics claiming to be deathly ill from 10 parts per billion of SO2.

Why is it so many people in Puna have no sense of proportion or scale? There has to be a medical term for that beyond brain dead.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

A couple of points of information here:
1) metric tonnes (1000 kg) simply complies with scientific units, nothing Brit about it.
2) Pu'u O'o and Halema'uma'u are producing sulfur dioxide; the whining in lower Puna is about hydrogen sulfide; at the typical levels of exposure, sulfur dioxide is the more damaging compound but hydrogen sulfide stinks - the real source of the whining.
quote:
Originally posted by geochem
...Pu'u O'o and Halema'uma'u are producing sulfur dioxide; the whining in lower Puna is about hydrogen sulfide; at the typical levels of exposure, sulfur dioxide is the more damaging compound but hydrogen sulfide stinks - the real source of the whining.

Yo geochem, I know to you it's whining.. but to them it's concern. And, considering the value of your post, i.e. to provide an educational insight, don't you think it would be much more effective if you were to phase it in terms of respect rather than otherwise, especially when you consider it's them you're trying to educate?

Hey, I like the Brits.I probably will never get there, but would like to someday. I would like to go there some day and go motorcycle riding in the country. I don't ask for much.....

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP