Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii?
As far as I'm concerned, they should have started their service to the Big Island first since we already have the Coqi frogs, the red ants, the albezia trees and everything else thats considered a threat to other islands.

I don't think they will ever get services started to Kauai from what I've seen and read unless there is a sudden attitude change in all the special interest groups on that island.

And the superferry indicated a long time ago that they can't make ends meet with just one daily destination.

Add to that the low ridership and car transport since they started service to Maui (Matson recently equipped their ships with parking garages for drive-on-drive-drive off services between Oakland and Honolulu and Honolulu and Maui with service to the big island coming soon)...and the writing seems to be on the wall.

I give it three months since they were almost out of contingency funds from all the court holdups.
I find it curious that Alabama's Governor is getting a free trip to Hawaii to visit the Superferry!

Gov. Bob Riley visited the Hawaii Superferry as it pulled into port in Maui and pointed to the Alabama-built ship as an example of the quality work done by the state's workers...."This is a high-tech ship and we're proud it's built by Alabamians in Mobile," Riley said

Wonder what the people of Alabama think of there tax dollars going to the Gov's trip here.[:p]

-----------------
Coming home soon!
Well the ones who have been working for years on it at a good wage, and still are with #2 coming up , plus the tax dollars generated by the operation in Mobile, helping keep the residents taxes down they probably don't mind. We just spent how many millions sending a whole university to a football game, why? Pride in accomplishment. Even if we blow the opportunity, the ship is still somthing to behold! And if used to best potential could be beneficial to us. Good thing none of our politicos travel!
Gordon J Tilley
This is a curious twist on the HSF tale:

Auditor: Lingle is stonewalling. Administration won't produce documents on Superferry issue.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal02.txt

Those pesky auditors, apparently required to do thier work by the legislation that put the HSF back in the water, are being prevented from getting thier work done on time.

My, my. my. I wonder just how much payola is involved in the HSF deal. In other areas of Hawaii state business the graft is hard to hide. They don't even try hard. Everyone with a state paycheck knows better than to ask too many questions.

Sorry. Just my own cynicism showing.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, I'd hoped we had improved somewhat, but mabe change is going to be slow. It seems anything the state touches turns into a fiasco! Mabe we should turn it over to the hawaiians!

It seems like the lax punishment for criminals might be because the execs. know they might be on the docket next. How about bringing in a prosecutor and sgt at arms from China, they know how to treat white collar and govt crime.
Gordon J Tilley
"Auditor: Lingle is stonewalling. Administration won't produce documents on Superferry issue."

was there any doubt? executive privilage, give me a break!
Looks like the superferry is adding a second Maui run daily (this one in the evening). They don't seem to be able to convince the special interest groups on Kauai....So Maui is getting a double dose.

I know they can't break even with just one run a day...but I don't think 2 runs to Maui will help. They should have gone to the Big Island for its second trip.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/01/05/news/story04.html
Rob, We could use a lot more cynicism, imho.**S**

Aloha,
Lee
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
quote:
Originally posted by aikahimomma

Damon...they are going to help the folks who need it from the storm damage..are you against that?

It looks like the Guard is going to do more then help storm damage....It seems they are just doing this test run to see just how effective the ferry will be IN THE FUTURE!

Guard officials indicate the trip will help determine how useful the Superferry is going to be in helping the Guard with its work.

According to This article

Superferry officials have said the service can be a real asset for civil defense.

-----------------
Coming home soon!
By using the SF for the maui cleanup, thr guard has been able to move on the requested cleanup in record time and least ever expense.

The other optons are the landing craft, which are big long range beach loading vehicles, big, expensive and comparitavly slow and costly. Would have required some 5 C-17s, at a massive cost for a close, non emergency. In a true massive disaster they excell, screw the cost. You can be sure in a hurricane on Kauai, C-17 & Landing ships would deliver. They can't come near as cheap as SF and are maintained for emergencies, here and abroad!

The SF can't go to Big Island because they don't have docking facilities, and now even when they apply, an EIS will extend the time frame probalya year, any help would be an improvment. Ask any mariner, Kawaihae is a basket case. and without same, can't unload vehicles. Guard troops want to help, but cost is a factor. The SF could use military contracts to bolster their revenue especially until the public usage picks up this was written in their introductory statments.

If your worried about their storming the island in an invasion,it could happen but would use the landing craft, which are equiped to protect the landing (machine guns). This scenario would be to enforce the ban on destruction of the rain forest in the subdivision. The O'io, now endangered. All residents will be removed and reimbursed appraised value and improrovments to 50K, voluntarily or (see above). EPA, DLNR, WWF, PETA Sierra Club! Not Negotiable, a BAN.

That's the scenario I could see. I love that hawk but should the forementioned occur to protect it!

Gordon J Tilley