Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Fire Ant Treatment
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDW

Because I'm a bit allergic to LFA stings, I'd be the first to say how awful the pest is. It's the farmer's, however, that really have a vested interest in getting rid of them. A friend who grows bananas commercially told me his tale of woe. The LFA "stings" the fruit causing a blemish. The actual fruit is unharmed, but it's marketability is severely damaged. My friend eventually unloaded his crop at a net loss. He steered me to both the USDA and CPS. I haven't actually begun my treatment yet, because I'm waiting for a dry spell. They seem to swarm in the spring and early summer, so I'll begin my attack in early winter and hopefully have them under control before they start to swarm again. I'll follow the USDA/CPS instructions to the letter as I tend to believe in science and don't wish to mess up the balance of my environment.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia

I don't think LFA attack fruit. Your friend was talking about something else.
Unfortunately, I believe they do attack plants. They also tend and nurture aphids etc and "milk" their honey dew.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/species...-fire-ant/

http://www.extension.org/pages/60922/wha...Hbrgcn55-w

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
It's easy to get literature about fire ants and little fire ants mixed up. Here's a good read on banana pests and diseases in Hawaii: http://hawaiiplantdisease.net/Banana-diseases.php I think ant damage is caused by the insects the ants are tending.

I corresponded with the Hawaii Ant Lab and there is an 'upgrade' to the basic tango bait recipe. Instead of peanut butter, use powdered liver. This is the type/brand they recommended to me. I checked and it is also available from Amazon, though it looks like the same vendor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORGANIC-Argentine-Dessicated-BEEF-LIVER-UNDEFATTED-POWDER-ONE-POUND-1-Lb-/121423387114?pt=US_Dietary_Supplements_Nutrition&hash=item1c4565d9ea Use the liver at the same quantity as the peanut butter. Speaking of peanut butter, I asked what type is best and they recommended the cheaper hydrogenated type. So put the 100% natural peanut butter on your food and give the ants the store brand version of Jiff or whatever.

Edited to add, I also asked about oil. If peanut butter is a good bait, then using peanut oil is better than corn oil in the recipe right? Their response: We tested a variety of oils including peanut oil, and found that safflower oil and corn oil were consistently good. Peanut oil is a lot more expensive but not any better. So there you have it.
My carpenter says to plant peppermint as a ground cover, it's kryptonite to fire ants. I recently read to spray diluted peppermint oil with water around the house to repel rats and mice. Anyone have any experience with either?
For people who are using the Tango gel ant bait recipe from the Hawaii ant lab: I've tried using the Zep sprayer they recommended but I'm not having any luck with them. The first one worked for one application, I ran some water through afterwards to clean it out, and then it failed half way through the next application. The second Zep sprayer died halfway through the first application. So far, the Zep sprayers have been duds. What do you use? What are your recommendations?

thanks
I've been treating our lot with Tango for ... I don't remember how long, but I've almost used up my first pint bottle. I bought 2 pints from the co-op and figured that @ 4tbsp per batch they were a 16 month supply. The numbers of LFA's are now very much down. They are now tolerable. By treating once every month they seem to be staying that way. But, as long as your adjacent and other nearby neighbors, do not treat for them, you will be required to continue a control maintenance program, spraying every month. They will keep moving into the vacated areas. Plus, other types of ants will begin to show up as the LFA's are aggressive at keeping other types at bay. Just keep on with the treatments and they too will also disappear.

I bought 2 Zep bottles when I bought the Tango. I've only used one of them and am still using it. it's been a good spray bottle for me.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
I've heard of people using Super-soaker type children's squirt guns.
Use Simplegreen or some other degreaser to clean the spray bottles between uses. Just put some in and give it a few squirts.
quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1

I've been treating our lot with Tango for ... I don't remember how long, but I've almost used up my first pint bottle. I bought 2 pints from the co-op and figured that @ 4tbsp per batch they were a 16 month supply. The numbers of LFA's are now very much down. They are now tolerable. By treating once every month they seem to be staying that way. But, as long as your adjacent and other nearby neighbors, do not treat for them, you will be required to continue a control maintenance program, spraying every month. They will keep moving in to the vacated areas. Plus, other types of ants will begin to show up as the LFA's are aggressive at keeping other types at bay. Just keep on with the treatments and they too will also disappear.

I bought 2 Zep bottles when I bought the Tango. I've only used one of them and am still using it. it's been a good spray bottle for me.

Where did you get our Zep bottles? I wonder if unknowingly purchased a knock off ?

ETA: I tried the super soaker. It worked for about four good squirts and I was like... Eureka! Then it quit working and hasn't worked since. The gel was too thick for it.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore
... Where did you get our Zep bottles? I wonder if unknowingly purchased a knock off ? ...

I believe I picked them up at HD.
And, I only rinse them out with hose bib water after each use.
I think the corn oil keeps them well lubed.

Plus, while the Antlab does say to not use multiple types of ant bait/poisons, I do use the Amdro bait stations in conjunction with the Tango.
I agree, using poisons with baits defeats the use of baits. But, I do not see any clear reason to not use multiple bait types. I use the Amdro inside and around the exterior of the house, and the Tango around the property and the exterior of the house.

I think the reason they advise against any combination is that they do not trust the usual idiot to use the correct types.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.