Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...place.html

The half-brother of Thomas Eric Duncan said today that his brother did not intentionally come to America with the deadly virus.
Mr Duncan, a Liberian national, is currently in Texas Presbyterian Hospital in a stable condition with Ebola.
Wilfred Smallwood (pictured above) told CNN that his brother, who he had not seen in nine years, had been planning to come to the U.S. for a long time and had only just received his visa.
Mr Smallwood's son is one of those quarantined in Dallas. Mr Smallwood, who lives in Phoenix, said today he was very worried for his son and his brother but couldn't understand why Texas Presbyterian Hospital had let him leave.
Despite his half-brother's protestations, it was also alleged on Thursday that Mr Duncan lied on airport forms which asked if he had come in contact with an Ebola sufferer.
Mr Smallwood said his brother was unaware that a seven months' pregnant woman he helped to hospital was suffering from Ebola.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still, if you have to carry a convulsing pregnant woman to the hospital, wouldn't you question *why* she was convulsing (in the article)? Also, I too wonder how some of the healthcare workers have acquired the virus with the precautions they have been trained to use. There is also a report of a cameraman that has contracted the virus while there (http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/health/ebo...index.html). I wonder how he contracted it, as his job was to stand back and film--not treat infected individuals.

I wonder how easily it can be spread as well. We arrive at our new home (there in Puna) next week. Kind of nervous about flying anyways, now this....*sigh*

Best wishes
Best wishes
Interesting.
I believe he would not want to infect his family.

However, where does the knowledge come from that this pregnant female died of Ebola after he carried her? If he didn't know or suspect he contracted the virus that way, then why is that now the accepted story of how he got it?

Not to be too cynical, but the guy is under threat of arrest now, not too surprising there would be statements popping up to clear him.

Kathy
mmbvd7, travel safely, all will be well. When you get here, we will share the true meaning of "aloha" with you. If you want, I can ask my brother who works in the tower in HNL, to "watch" you fly over. [Smile]

HNL airport is well aware of the risks, and steps are being taken to direct air traffic if need be, should anyone be aboard that may be a carrier.

For the record, we can't even get animals over here without stringent protocol. We have no rabies, and we will not get ebola. (*JMO, positive thinking mode.)

However, if we do, please review snorkel's link. (*Still giggling, as I listen to the meeting in Pahoa. OMG, lol)

JMO.
For one to think standard precautions is the answer for one minute is folley and ignorant in the case of such a virus. If simple hand washing was the answer then there would be no need for isolation suits from head to toe duct taped at the seams. Yes everyone should wash their hands regularly however think about how applicable that is in daily life. Some one with say the flu sneezes on the shopping cart you grab it then proceed to place all your groceries inside touching each one, then out to your car where you touch everything there, then you grab your Starbucks for a drink. Not to mention the average person touches their face something like 8 times a minute. There is a reason these people are in quarantine and not in standard rooms with standard precautions. It is easier to get and transmit then AIDS or Hep. It's droplet precautions at best and the average.person is not living in a controlled environment where using droplet precautions is feasible to prevent spread.
And yes it's good to use the wipes at the grocery store to wipe the cart handle but there are a multitude of bacteria and viruses that can live nicely in alcohol based wipes and hand sanitizers.
Rattlestaff, for the record, this one hopes Ebola does not enter our space. I don't trust no one to take care of us. History in this country proves that clearly.

We are not ignorant to the realities, just wanted our new "friend" who is traveling to have some support.

That is all. Aloha to you.

JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao

mmbvd7, travel safely, all will be well. When you get here, we will share the true meaning of "aloha" with you. If you want, I can ask my brother who works in the tower in HNL, to "watch" you fly over. [Smile]

HNL airport is well aware of the risks, and steps are being taken to direct air traffic if need be, should anyone be aboard that may be a carrier.

For the record, we can't even get animals over here without stringent protocol. We have no rabies, and we will not get ebola. (*JMO, positive thinking mode.)

However, if we do, please review snorkel's link. (*Still giggling, as I listen to the meeting in Pahoa. OMG, lol)

JMO.

------------------------------------
Mahalo!
Yes, I read that and well, just about had my beverage come through my nostrils! LOL! Will try to maintain optimistic regarding air travel.

Best wishes
Best wishes
No worries wasn't toward any one in particular. :-)
Obviously, few, if any poster in this thread has been to Africa and actually seen the average health conditions (or lack thereof)in a lot of the countries in Africa.

Ebola would have a very difficult time here in the states.

I am guessing that those most concerned might not be the most hygienic of the our bunch.

We are all going to find out real quick just how contagious this disease really is. If the ambulance people and a nurse or two catches it- or another patient whose lungs were listened to with the same stethescope, then we'll know. The family is fairly expected to catch it, so we'll see about that as well. This unfortunately is going to show each and every weak link. I've been to Haiti, which could be somewhat similar to Africa, and I agree the US is far better equipped to handle anything of this sort, but the reality also is that hospitals are absolutely filthy places.