Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishin'
Wow... that story messed with me and thats just hearing it... I'm a catch and release fisherman (freshwater)but my six year old has asked me if we could eat one some day? I tell him maybe, but not today, then I say "I thought you wanted to go to McDonalds on the way home"! LOL...end of discussion.

I never knew how McDonalds stayed in business until I had (actually my wife)a kid.

Take care,
dave
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Mella, you are correct, ALL sea turtles are on the endangered species list (Hawaii is the only place where the green sea turtles actually have a population that can, a the moment, sustain itself - but even that is under question, esp. with the FP virus causing tumors on the turtles) Beachboys reference was from an event that happened a long time ago (over a decade ago - probably way more than that)
Turtles have been historically hunted by most island and shoreline cultures. Most of the heavy desimation of the poplations happened with whaling boats, as that was a meat that could be stored live in the hold for a fairly long period of time with no care.
Greens (& very few hawksbill) are the two turtles that you usually find in Puna - The main differences are the greens shell scutes have more of a sun burst pattern & are abbutted to each other, rather than overlapped like the hawksbill, and the hawksbill mouth has more of a curve, like a hawks bill
Tears are actually one of the ways turtle can excrete salt, you will notice the tears anytime the turtle is out of the water.

Edited by - carey on 06/04/2007 15:02:13
was the guys name Nelson Waikiki by chance? I just knew a guy by that name from Maui.
was the guys name Nelson Waikiki by chance? I just knew a guy by that name from Maui.
That story brought tears to MY eyes. The honu are such sweet, docile creatures. Do we HAVE to eat EVERYTHING that moves? (I know I will get slammed for being such a bleeding heart, so just save the nasty comments!!)

Carrie

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2