Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H-130 Beautification Planning???
I wholeheartedly support PCDP. I'm hoping we can maintain enough support to keep it from being amended to death, its going to take tireless effort to keep it from becoming unrecognizable after the special interest get done trying to modify it to their advantage.

dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
Ok, I wasn't clear. I may not get clearer. I'm all for keeping the rural feel of Puna as well as the Hilo and whole East side in general. (Hilo still has a lot of rural small town feel to me) I'm all good with the village center idea. However, I also see justification for some commercial development along the 130 corridor, providing it is set off the road and concealed by greenbelt.

For some irrelevant clarity: In the mall story I previously posted, as far as I know, no one did anything dishonest in mowing down the "greenbelt". It was probably planed from the start. In my naivety, when I saw how nice it looked with the greenbelt, I assumed that was the plan. Wrong! I was just trying to explain (poorly?) how nice a large commercial project can be made to look or not look at all (as in hidden).

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Oink, It may have been planed from the start. I think if their is any development along 130, it needs to conform to the spirit of the PCDP and be set up so that the development of any greenbelt isolation area remains just that. a Greenbelt and nothing else. The problem comes in when the value of that belt becomes high enough that pressure is applied to re-zone.

dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
The connectivity (road system) between the subdivisions will be essential and, IMHO, the #1 priority if the village center concept has any chance.

It is a great concept, but can it work?

How about a list of retail shops or services that a typical village center would have? How about some light industry in the villages for employment as well?

Until there are reasonable traffic capacity to move people to the village centers, it will be just as easy to drive to Hilo.

What population would be required to support the customer requirements for these village enterprises? The connectivity will be the backbone of the village center concept and would help to increase customer flow.

PMAR has to be a top, if not the top priority in the PCDP.

I remember working for a client one time who had georgeous landscaping on his 5 acres, so I asked him "How do you go about planning out such a beatiful garden?" He repied " First you layout the paths."

Think FUTURE, Dan
"First you layout the paths."

Good point. Point taken.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Don't spend the money and lower taxes.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

So Jon, What is it in November that leads to: "I am the government and the battle is with all of us."

Kind of cryptic.

Elections... I get to vote. I get to officially be come part of the problem [Smile]

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Village centers need infrastructure. Where on Hwy 130 between Keaau and Pahoa is there infrastructure to support a center except on or adjacent to the highway?

There can be only one place to put stores or village centers and that is on the highway or on a frontage road adjactent to the highway. And I believe we need some more stores. And with those stores will have to be traffic lights just like the traffic light at the town center where CU Hawaii is located adjacent to highway 130.
Bike lanes would be fantastic.
macuu222,

That is like the tail waggin' the dog.

Infrastructure can be extended and expanded. That is the point. Decentralization is what the village centers are about. It is relatively easy to expand infrastructure from 130.

The county needs to get the plan together and start rezoning and acqiring the land necessary for the infrastructure expansion. With the number of vacant, buildable parcels in Puna, the population is going to increase rapidly. Otherwise it is band-aid over band-aid, catch-up, no future thinking and planning waste. Pretty standard operating procedure for wanna get re-elected politicians.

My sense is that we need some bold leadership to expand the secondary road system as well as geothermal electricity production and distribution capacities.

Pass me that pipe,
Dreamin' On, Dan