Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna
I am sure after a few years of "study" we will be paying for the chemotherapy of people that smoked to much dope.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
I believe it was tried but failed in removing the "high" you’re talking about. Note the FDA and DEA have NEVER said it had no valid medical use, they only said that CONGRESS passed laws making it illegal and until CONGRESS changes the law, the FDA and DEA's hands are tied on this issue. If CONGRESS authorizes cannabis to be made into a prescription drug, it will happen and it will end up being just like any other legal drug, provides benefits to the people but with those who will abuse it. Of course they allow the "high" of alcohol to be used in medicine and the "high" of Opium to be used and the "high" of ...... 90% of the inability to get the medicinal effects of cannabis approved for medical reasons is not based on medicine or science but perception and current laws.
Ding ding ding ding....

We have a winner...

HBAT
Rob said "... If cannibis offers medical benefits, and many studies say it does ..."

That's why I asked my question the way I did <nodding smileycon here> I'm not sure you're agreeing with me or not tho'[Wink]

There ARE benefits from THC re:cancer treatments and treatment for those with HIV.

Sooooo.....if you don't need to "inhale", but instead all you need to do is pop a pill, then......?

Puna: Our roosters crow first
then.... you might hope to have a pill to pop. Personally I could care less if a cancer or HIV patient gets a buzz or not.

It does seem that some folks are more intent on imposing their point of view on others than on discussing any potential benefits.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
On both sides of the issue.

HBAT
I don't deny there are some benefits to pot. I would support well controlled medical marijuana, dispensed from a pharmacy with strict oversight on the issuance of perscriptions. I would even support well controlled legalization with strict penalties for transfers to minors. I do object to gross abuse of laws such as with the medical marijuana laws of Califorina and Hawaii. I object to the dishonesty of claiming medical need when it's just a fabrication to gain access to recreational dope. If you want it for recreational use get the law changed, don't perpetuate dishonesty. I have similar opinions on industrial hemp. Yes it probably has valid industrial purposes. However, I think the push for it is because those who want to use pot recreationally know that once industrial hemp is permitted the ability to control pot is totally lost. Push for law changes to make pot legal and controlled similar to but better than as booze is now controlled.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Let's be perfectly clear about what it is we are talking about.

Safe as milk?**Captain Beefheart** Safer than milk.

The future is coming, no doubt about it.

"We are all interested in the future, for that is where we will spend the rest of our lives. And remember, my friends: future events such as these will affect you in the future."...Ed Woods

"OPINION AND RECOMMENDED RULING, FINDINGS OF FACT, CONCLUSIONS OF LAW AND DECISION OF Administrative LAW JUDGE.

FRANCIS L. YOUNG, Administrative Law Judge

16. Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care."

15. In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death.

4. Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.

8. At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around
1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in onemarijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.

9. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity."

Nuff said.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
quote:
Originally posted by rusty h

Alaska state law goes over fed law on pot. we are allowed to have it in our home as well as grow a small amount for personal use. im really surprised Hawaii doesnt adopt the same.
Alaska didn't adopt laws over federal law. Federal law provided a certain degree of self-autonomy to Alaska in some areas when they became a state due in part to the cross nationality of it's indigenous population. Hawaii was not accorded the same due in large part to the military. It's the same basis where some federal laws specifically exclude mainland Native American populations from enforcement. If and when Hawaii's indigenous population is accorded status, there will be some exemption from some federal laws in the agreement.
all i know is since i was a teen in the 70's pot has been legal. the people voted a while back and its still legal. its just pot....a simple very pretty plant. mellow buzz. pot has not damaged our families. i bet you can guess which legal drugs are harming our state and families. all this fed vs state is crazy. at least in alaska some of us dont need/want fed funds to make it and i hope we never will.
we have a very large military population here and they bring some punks here that are not welcomed. saying this i was a military brat so the military does bring some good. the army is the dangerious group. i dont understand what the military population has to do with pot in hawaii. as far as native population they could care less about pot, its not their choice of drug the one they choose is killing their young and destroying their families.
all i really know is what i see and pot is a plant that all should be able to grow or smoke. you can make a mean butter with it and browines wow they are yummy as well.
in ending pot should be on the bottom of our list of things to lock someone up in jail for.