Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Especially with the latest reports of Hawaii being confirmed as loosing nearly all it's bird species via national media!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_o...gy_birds_9

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090320/ap_o...gy_birds_9

You mean those articles, jtill, perhaps your quote above meant these articles in the national press this current month about the bird demise? Sorry but not cat one, domestic or feral in these RECENT conclusions. IT"S MAN AND WOMAN me thinks, don't blame the critters for our short sightedness please.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Local humane societies or spay neuter clinics on the ground operations do good work. the humane society of the united states in washington dc is the legislative arm or peta. just so you know when donating where your money is going. donate locally and be sure.

mella l

of course edited for spelling once again! sorry forget the punctuation!
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA

"If I had my way I'd remove all cats from Hawaii, but that's easier said than done. Quote PaulW"

Right after all pitbulls, mongoose, rats, and pigs? OK then!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I live out in the country (JFITZ knows my house), and there are LOTS of ferals and a decent amount of pet cats, and plenty mongoose too. The bird population is astounding. Very healthy. While I respect Jay's observation of his own stomping grounds, I just don't see this massive demise of birdlife due to cats that seems to be gospel in this topic.

I would think all the land ripping and clearing in Puna might have an effect. I live in an established area with no real building going on and lots of tall trees, and birds are thriving.

What I do know is that if all the cats in my area were gone, the rats would be epidemic. My cats keep the rats and mice down even though my cats are well fed, and I'm sure the ferals are hunting them. Rodents are so much easier for cats to get than birds. I wish there weren't all these ferals, but I hate rats a lot more.

I feel bad for the ferals because they're hungry, and some are sick.

All this talk of cat slaughter and cat hate is making me feel ill.
Tom cats are nuisances, but spaying takes care of that.
btw, if someone slaughtered my cat that I love and take great care of and is part of our family, just because it walked on your precious property, and I found out, the fallout would be ugly.

Cat owners LOVE their cats. Truly love them. To kill someone's loved pet is EVIL in my book. My neighbor doesn't have cats, and my cat does go up and prowls his roof, looking for roof rats. He told me he used to have a terrible problem with roof rats so it is not a bad thing to have the rat patrol in force, even though the cat is "trespassing."
I enjoy cats myself, and have always owned them. I'm simply responsible enough to understand that they're incomparable with Hawaii.

I understand that having a beloved animal killed can cause a great deal of outrage. If you raise chickens from chicks you'll be attached to them too, and you'll know them and they'll know you. This is why losing a dozen chickens to TNR cats dumped on my road over the last year makes me more than a little pissed off. Imagine if they did TNR with sociopathic pitbulls and "released" them in your driveway, and they killed your cat or your kid. . .of course it's absurd, but different?

PETA doesn't support TNR, actually.
I would be upset too about the chickens.

I'm a little surprised at their fate. I had a wild chicken at another house, that adopted my carport, and my cat was in terror of the chicken. Nothing messed with the chicken, not the mongoose or the pet or the ferals.

But it was a full grown chicken that had a hard life in the wild.
I totally understand your upset, Jay. Dumping changes the whole balance of the area immediately, as opposed to having raised your chickens with cats in the area, which you all could have adapted to ...

I had a beloved cat torn to pieces by someone's Samoyan that got loose, years ago, and I couldn't bear to have another pet until this cat I adopted here, 22 years later!
So I know about the grief of the loss.
Sure, the emotional stuff is all there.

What we need to discuss is what's best.

The preponderance of the evidence is that TNR is a bad idea. That's just the nuts of it.
TNR is not a bad idea, it's proven to work and it makes the most sense.
It also gets the cat people on board, which is vey important and part of what makes it the best solution.

So now you have proof it's the Humane Society dumping TNR cats at your place?
I have no idea of what group it was. I've described the vehicle, and in interest of keeping the conversation reasonable I'll say "I'm not sure" and I'll defer that question. If it happens again, I'll post proof. Photos and the works if you like. You can count on it. I expect it may not happen again, actually, but you don't need to know why. I tend to be a problem solving kind of guy.

There are only two studies that support TNR, both in an urban environment, both discredited. Both San Diego, Stanford. This doesn't reflect my area, nor do they typically have rare endangered birds floating about. No credible conservation group that isn't explicitly pro-cat to the exclusion of all else sees it otherwise. The Fish and Wildlife Service questions its legality--calling it dumping, like I do.

That's all there is to it. Anyone interested in the details has all the information at their disposal from credible sources to discover this for themselves. Ignorance is no excuse anymore. If you can read this post, you're one or two clicks away from the source material itself. If that evidence doesn't convince, well, that's past what the definition of being "reasonable" can bear.

In the mean time others will clean up your mess.

On other notes:

I have a prodigious sense of humor, really. Unfortunately, I get called in too often to defend good policy over bad, and call out preposterous self interest masquerading as "progress." Ah well, that's the breaks. Some one needs to, and I don't expect I'll quit.
Always ask twice about what type of meat you're eating at JW's house.[:0]

---------
FBI Blogs