Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village
Not one person testified in favor of this rezoning, despite Ms. Naeole having had several weeks to line some up. This was an old Hawaiian political end run around the legitimate planning process, complete with tit for tat and pet project bias. Ironically, I know many people who feel that more storage facilities are needed in Puna, but those same people are disgusted with the process used to get this though.

There is still one more vote on this. Perhaps we should lobby some of the other council members who voted for this with reservations. We are not going to change Ms. Naeole's mind.

Cheers,
Jerry

does anyone know how to get to the online version of the county zoning code,ive been trying but the page wont open

Is this what your looking for? pdf format

http://www.hawaii-county.com/planning/ru...e.book.pdf

Adias, No one is donating $200,000 and a shelter for the homeless in this self storage deal. The developer has verbally offered $200,000 toward traffic issues (The Maku`u market turn lanes are budgeted at $650,000).

The old single wall home on the propoerty is a liability to the owner - he will need to tear it down. He has offered to donate it to a "homeless shelter" purpose but has not, to my knowledge, offered to tansport the building, provide a site for it and bring it up to code.

A self storage facility could contribute as a place for homeless to store their personal property but they would do so by paying the highest per square foot rental rates possible - and still not have a place to sleep.

I think it is unfortunate for the important issue of homelessness in Hawaii to be caught up in this commercial rezoning.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, Thank you for the clarification, the information came from a quote in the Hunter Bishop Blog. Note: I edited my posting to reflect the facts.

As president of Maqinstreet Pahoa Assoc. I met with Emily and Barbara Hale, her legislative assistant, on this for two hours last week. I asked them to reconsider their positions. What I was told, amongst other things, was that the devloper promised a house and $200,000 for a homeless shelter project she favors. While admirable in it's moment is this legal? Is this looking at the long term interests of the district as a whole? Mainstreet is calling on everyone to call ALL council members to vote Nay on these two bills. Council phone number is 961-8225. The Council considers this on Jan. 4th.
January 2, 2007 | Rob Tucker, Mainstreet Pahoa Assoc.

http://hunterbishop.com/journal/2007/1/1...e-gym.html

Edited by - adias on 01/20/2007 10:48:06
Yep, I was having trouble getting straight facts from Emily Naeole's office myself.

Punaweb moderator
Sadly, "bribes" have been a part of the approval process for years, throughout the world. Western Electric (a company that was part of AT&T) owned a large building north of Atlanta and wanted to add to the building. Fulton County wouldn't let them. Then, Western Electric donated a large part of the property to Junior Achievement and Tennis Courts that the County became owners of. The County immediately reversed its position and approved the building addition.

The senate recently passed changes to overhaul ethics laws. Something similar needs to be implemented at a local level.

Basically make it illegal for any council member or family members to accept anything from any business or individuals who has bills pending with the council; including donations to the "public good". Each bill is voted on its own merit, without Quid Pro Quo.

WASHINGTON, Jan. 18 — The Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly passed sweeping changes to ethics and lobbying rules, overcoming bipartisan reluctance to ban many of the favors that lobbyists do for lawmakers and to illuminate the shadowy legislative practice of earmarking money for special projects.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/washington/19ethics.html?bl&ex=1169442000&en=e20dea1391f45b4a&ei=5087%0A

Edited by - adias on 01/21/2007 10:03:57
Article in Hawaii Tribune-Herald makes no mention of anything inappropriate on this issue. One cannot help but wonder what the fuss is all about....

Storage facility advances
Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:38 AM HST
"I personally believe this traffic thing is way overblown. We're talking about 20 cars a day," Gardner testified before the council Friday, adding that he has a letter from the county Police Department that states there will not be adverse traffic impacts.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal02.txt

Edited by - adias on 01/25/2007 14:10:13
This issue (Bills 220 & 221) comes up for a vote again this Wednesday (corrected), Feb. 7th. which create the first commercial zoning on Hwy. 130. It will be held in Kona without video feed to Hilo.

This legal precedent could pave the way for strip malls on the highway. Commercial development on Hwy. 130 would threaten every Pahoa business.
This is not a Special Use Permit.

I personally spoke with Dominic Yagong and J. Yoshimoto this past week and found them fence sitting. They clearly understand the implications of this rezoning and are weighing that against, I would say, not respecting Emily Naeole's emotional appeals as the newly elected rep for Puna. Dominic especially appears to be leaning against this rezone.

Public input can sway them.

So especially tell council members Yagong and Yohimoto to
vote NO on Bill 220 and Bill 221.

Here are their email addresses and phone numbers:

J. Yosimoto <jyoshimoto@co.hawaii.hi.us>
(808) 961-8225

Dominic Yagong <dyagong@co.hawaii.hi.us>
(808) 961-8264

While the Puna Community Development Plan is in progress it is inappropriate for such rezoning applications to be approved. Community input, via the CDP is to maintain the rural character of Puna. One commercial development, benign as it may seem, will lead to another. Do we want strip malls, car lots, bars and neon lights on our primary road way? Do we want mainland style development? What about traffic safety?

Bill 220 (2004-2006): Amends the State Land Use Boundaries Maps for the County of Hawai‘i by Changing the District Classification from the Agricultural to the Urban District at Keonepoko, Puna, Hawai‘i, Covered by Tax Map Key 1-5-7:53 (approx. 3.317 acres). {Timothy Lynn Gardner, Applicant.} Re: Comm. 680 Intr. by: Mr. Pilago Approve: PC-4

Bill 221 (Draft 2) (2004-2006): Amends Section 25-8-26 (Pahoa Zone Map), Article 8, Chapter 25 (Zoning Code) of the Hawai‘i County Code 1983 (2005 Edition), by Changing the District Classification from Agricultural (A-1a) to Industrial-Commercial Mixed (MCX-1a) at Keonepoko, Puna, Hawai‘i, Covered by Tax Map Key 1-5-7:53 (approx. 3.317 acres). {Timothy Lynn Gardner, Applicant.} Re: Comm. 680.1 Intr. by: Mr. Safarik (B/R) Approve: PC-5

How to submit testimony to council consideration:

(from the county web site)

Submitting Testimony: Those persons wishing to testify in person must register with the Council/Clerk’s staff.

Those testifying in person and submitting written testimony should bring seventeen (17) copies of the testimony for distribution at the meeting.

Those persons unable to testify in person may submit testimony
(1) by mail to the County Clerk’s Office in Hilo at 25 Aupuni Street, Hilo, Hawai‘i 96720,
(2) by facsimile to (808) 961-8912, or
(3) by e-mail to counciltestimony@co.hawaii.hi.us.

Please submit a separate testimony for each item.
For testimonies submitted by e-mail or fax, copies will be made and distributed at the meeting when transmitted in a timely manner. In any case, both oral and written testimony will be considered public record.

Punaweb moderator